• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The power of a Lake Superior noreaster

Winds were whipping up the waves and pushing rain at 35 mph off Lake Superior today, which made for some dramatic scenes but also made captures extremely difficult.

When I lived in Duluth, I remembered that Stoney Point always showed some impressive waves, so that's where we went.

But of course with winds that strong and everything else, it was pretty much a handheld deal.

All with the Canon 30D, Canon 17-40 f4L, 70-200 f2,8L and 400 f5.6L iso at 400 and 800, shutter speeds from 1/50 to 1/200 sec

3008580661_d1fb033943_o.jpg

3009415758_5668df274c_o.jpg

3008578183_5d89532304_o.jpg

3008579709_6bafe2f7ba_o.jpg

3008578481_7487d8fef1_o.jpg

We got a site upgrade, so I'm sure there are a few bugs to work out.

Thanks guys. I like the B&W images the best myself, with the last one my fave. Sure was cool that laker was going by. Those were shot with the 400 f5.6L (the last one using Al servo focus mode so I could track the wave).

We picked today to go because we were free and because of the wind forecast. The waves picked up even in the two hours we were there, and with them whipping all night I expect the swells to be even bigger tomorrow.

Conditions were tough, but getting even a single image that is popular and well received out of a full day's travel made it worthwhile, and of course we can deduct the mileage. gringrin

There's a lot of work I'd like to do along the shores of Lake Superior. Not typical picture postcard stuff, but other things. I'm hoping this is just the start.

Thanks for looking and commenting, everyone! smilesmile

I was just curious. I stopped in there and there was a blue truck and a group of people coming up from the shore. Not a whole lot of people were out today in the rain, it was actually pretty neat to have the whole shore to yourself. Sugarloaf cove is near Schroeder.

The farther I went up the shore the less waves there were. I was hoping to get some pictures of the light house in the Grand Marias harbor with the surf breaking on the rocks. There was also a snowy owl there yesterday so that would have been a bonus too. I wasn't counting on it being there but you never know. They hardly had any waves up there compared to the rest of the shore!

I have been trying to upload pictures from my trip for the past hour and they keep timing out so I'm going to throw in the towel for now.

Thanks again, folks.

Jay, we hit the shore where Hwy. 1 connects to Hwy. 61 northeast of Silver Bay and headed toward Two Harbors, so we were in the opposite direction. We also noticed a difference in wave height. They got bigger the closer we got to Duluth.