• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What do you do for/ tell your wife/girlfriend?

This thread may have been around before, but I am newer to this forum. Not new to hunting, but have not perfected the "I am going to be gone for the next three weekends +, you're at home with the dog and kids, see ya!"

Any suggestions to stay married besides opening the wallet and saying have fun?

Make sure you remind her that deer season is coming up at least a month ahead of time and then at least once a week let her know again so it isn't a surprise when you tell her you'll see her in a few weeks. Most of us know at least a year ahead of time when the openers are but I'm guessing the thought doesn't cross her mind that deer season is coming up. I also try to do a few extra things around home to make sure there is no extra burden on her while I'm gone. I learned real quick to not hint around that I'll be gone and just come out and say that its opener and that I'm planning on going and it seems to go over OK most of the time.

If its possible to bring them with, do so. They don't have to hunt, but give her a vacation too.

If she has no desire, make it up to her, maybe in advance (no help this year).

My wife is pretty tolerant of my hunting. I'm fortunate. However, I try to offer her opportunities to take a weekend or two. She goes scrapbooking with a bunch of girls and I stay home with the dog and kids.

I've too have a fairly tolerant wife that allows me to enjoy my fall hunting season and ice fishing. My wife used to hunt a couple years before I knew her...But found another hobby she enjoys more (scrap booking). I support (not financially) her hobby which helps me in the long run for hunting. Just as Powerstoke mentioned.

When all else fails though...Sometimes you have to use the following saying...

"It's much easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission!"

I guess i have it pretty easy I don't have to tell her i'm gonna be gone deer hunting because she is out in the woods hunting with me. After last year she can't can't to go out cause she got her first deer a nice 10 pointer.

It is a give and take. You have your deer hunting and she has her.... whatever. I don't have a problem. My wife is pretty cool in that regard. I can't wait until the kids are big enough to take with! Then she will really love the fact that I am leaving.... and taking the kids.

I'm with Powerstroke.

I get my weekends (as long as I give her at least a weeks notice) and she and a couple girlfriends go to Florida every March for 2 weeks. I end up taking vacation then as well to make sure the kids get to school, house chores, etc. It's worked for a few years now and we both are happy.

I am lucky in the fact that my wife and I enjoy spending time together, yet also enjoy our time away from each other. I think the biggest factor in our relationship and my hunting and fishing trips is the fact that we have been together for 15+ years now, and she knows how I am. We also dont have any children, which I think is a large factor as well. She does come with me on many trips too however.

odonata

my daddy told me to marry a woman with a couple farms and a nice place at the lake

he also said to make sure she has a stable job

so tommorrow she will go to work and we will go hunting or watching on the farm or at the lake [my daddy and me]

it sounds silly but it is the kind of gal to look for,and you better hope that when the freezer is getting low that she reminds you of it and suggests you best do something about it

also you had best spoil the heck out of her ,make her life comfortable and treat her like your best freind.

thank her for the time she lets you spend in the outdoors

I have pics of the better half in her camo she dont shoot,or arrow deer but likes to come with.I have a good time showing her tracks,guess that bird,see that yote? Not everytime out but 3-4 times every different season.Fishing, cant get her to go in once out!

Her family asks whos that in the camo hidden in the corn? They dont recognize her.

I'll have to throw my story in here just for the heck of it. When I met my wife, the only thing we had in common is motorcycles. Since then she has learned to shoot a shotgun, she bought herself a Benelli this year. If we ever get our 2 shorthairs back from the trainer we'll be in the fields. She is now a fishing fanatic, and this will be her first year deer hunting. So, as tritonman said I guess I have a fishin/huntin partner for life.

I guess I consider myself lucky. #1 she grew up with her dad bailing out for hunting, she does some herself and well, I just tell her and she knows this is my time of year. Once Oct. hits she just gives me the "I guess I'll see you in Jan.".

i tell my wife im meeting some buddies for breakfest. then I peel out of the drive way turn off my cell phone and I come back in a week with flowers and taker her out to dinner. You think she would catch on after the first year.

my g/f likes to go hunting w/ me but has the patience problem i like to sit all day so if she comes deer hunting i make her drive seperate so she can leave when she wants shes also been goose hunting w/me then she can sleep but it still outdoors lol

I

She's not interested in hunting but a small boquet of flowers before and after deer season goes a long way.

Jackpot. Mine usually is with me, but now we have a 10 month old son and my desire to be in the field is 10 times stronger than hers so I'm usually leaving her behind (which I do hate doing)... but....flowers work wonders. She's been gone this week for work, she just got back today to 2 dozen rozes in a vase on the counter...I'm set. grin

The one thing that you cannot forget, whether your wife supports your hunting or not is you have to let them know how much you appreciate them and SHOW it. I didn't do this at first, but now I try to basically spoil her to death and I can basically come and go as I please. smile If they feel for one second that the outdoors takes priority in your life over them, you are in trouble. eek