• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hodgman, Cabelas, Columbia

3 or 5 mm thickness

1000-1600 gram insulation in the boots

Brand is up to you. Try a few on to decide. You might look for pockets, buckles or velcro, D rings or not, shell loops, choice of camouflage, etc. Buy the best you can afford.

IMO, thickness and grams of insulation aren't that important if you control your layers. Wear a couple pairs of socks with some chemical heat pockets when it's really cold. Dress in layers when it gets really cold. Long johns, sweatpants, etc.

If you plan to stand, then the boot feet are fine. But if you need to walk around much, or walk in the "loon [PoorWordUsage]" sucky, then I highly recommend the stocking feet with some decent wader boots. I.e. in NoDak I can walk around and through the sucky like I am in tennis shoes, without the heel pulling up, etc.

You can also dry them real easy by turning them totally inside and out. Only need to dry them from sweat/moisture, but neoprenes do get moist on the inside pretty good.

I wear poly longies, then some comfy wader pants, and some good moisture wicking socks, in thickness depending upon temp and activity for the day.

Good luck!

Go with 3mm if you only plan to get one pair and don't hunt the late season hard. If you hunt late, definitely get the 5mm. It's better to be hot than cold and the 5mm are more durable. I hunt all year in 5mm Cabela's with 800 gram thinsulate and throw on fleece wader pants and extra wool socks this time of year.

get 3mm perfect for early season and if u get cold u can always put on some longjohns in the cold thats what i do have 400gram boots and wear merino wool socks last yr hunted 15 below weather standing in water and didnt get cold mine are scheels brand think they were 100 bucks they had a sale on them awile ago some were orginally like 170 for 100

Don't think I'll ever pull neoprene's on again after using breathables the last 5-6 years.

Chub, me and my bro have thought about these for a while now. How do the hold up? Are you on same pair still? Do you use stocking foot or boot foot? Do they make them in camo stocking foot do you know? How about fat guy sizes? wink Nice thing about neoprene is they adjust and stretch easy, will breatable do that to some extent? I would love to try them, but they are spendy for a trail. Thanks for info.

I've had two pair in that time,(first one, the mice took up residence in the feet...lol). I think they hold up good, but I'm not out going through heavy brush and fences and the like. I don't think I EVER had a pair of Neo's last more than a couple years before springing a leak on a seam. You layer right underneath them if it's cold, you pull them on and fish creeks in the summer when it's warm.

They don't really stretch, but I think they make stout sizes. smile

I was looking at a pair of Drake's and they look nice, but I know I'd just roast in them.

I have a pair of cabelas 5mm neo that I bought in 1999 and they still don't leak. I have a lot of miles on em and they've even been in the flooded timbers of Arkansas....and that's about the worst place for waders.

I have a pair of Cabela's 5mm neoprenes with 1600 gram Thinsulate in the feet and they are absolutely great for cold weather hunting. Sat in the snow today without a care in the world. I have feet that get cold easily too. Not in those babies. Too warm for early season though.

I just got a pair of breathables this year...and they haven't leaked yet...which is already more than I can say for the past neoprenes that I have had. The breathables are super comfortable, I don't sweat up in them and they dry really nice (exterior). It hasn't been cold yet...so I am not sure on warmth...but I am sure that my fleece pants will be more than adequate to keep me warm.

I would really dissuade you from neoprenes at this point.

I got a pair of the Drake Eqwaders LST's yesterday and i will say they are by far the most bad A$$ waders ever. Super warm 5mm, 1600gram boots, and the HD2 material is great! They are expensive, $291.34 w/tax, but, ive been fighting leaks in my other waders all year and after being miserable so long i caved in and went for the best pair of waders i could find.