• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Walleye Jigs

kiowa

So I have only been ice fishing for about 5 years, and have had my share of fun, but I've never iced a Walleye!! (We mostly have panfish) I do the majority of my fishing in south east Iowa so I won't be competiton for anyone in Minnesota or Wisconsin. That being said, what are the best jigging lures or the best way to rig a tip-up for walleye?!

Kastmaster and a close second would be Swedish Pimple- put them in your arsenal.

In my opinion, I would flip flop these two, Swedish Pimples work better for me, then the Kastmaster. But both work very well.

I seen someone put Salmo Chubby Darter, I own 3, and haven't had too much luck, but I will keep trying- they are too expensive to collect dust in my tackle box!!

I have had great luck using Angel Eye spoons,Sweedish Pimples, Glow Devils, Lindy ratteling Flyers and many other similar spoons. Bait them with either a small live minnow or just the minnow head.

Jigging Raps and Chubby Darters also work very well on aggresive fish.

Rig a tip-up with a plain #2 hook,colored if you like, put a split shot on about 8" to 1 ft. above the hook and bait with a live minnow. Experiment with hook placement on the minnow. Sometimes the placement can really make a difference! Usually I just hook the minnow under the dorsal fin or in the tail section.

Set the depth so that the minnow will be swimming about 1 foot off of the bottom.

Cliff

Cliff-Thanks for the tip-up advise, the one time I saw a Walleye caught in these parts was on a tip-up, but didn't see how it was rigged. Never heard of a "angel eye" will have to look into those.

my favorite is definatley the lindy rattlin flyer tiped with a crappie minnow head. but i honestley feel that your location and time of year are way bigger factors than what jig your jiggin, if there aint any walleyes around or they aint feedin it doesn't matter what you throw at em'

just remember early ice is usually the easiest time to catch walleyes, at least on our lake up in wiscony. they will be off of shoreline points and breaks and near green weeds with deep water near by. find your weedline and set tip ups on the edge. the weedline (dependent on the lake) will usually be between 7'and 11'. then move the house out into about 17'-22' and when the walleyes come up to feed when it starts to get dark you will get a shot at the ones moving up and the ones on the weedline.

how we fish em in the house is we jig a foot off the bottom and we have one dead stick with a small sucker about a foot off the bottom, this way if the fish comes in to your jigging and isn't interested they will sometimes take the minnow instead.

tip ups- make sure to run a mono leader, i have had no luck with steel leaders and little luck with tip up line tied straight to the hook, tie a swivel to the tip up line, add a few feet of like 8 lb mono and then a plain red hook. set a foot or two off the bottom.

sorry if i carried on but these fish aren't hard to catch once you figure out were they are and that they are finicky most of the time so lighter line and more subtle presentations are key

I have good luck with Northland products. The Forage minnow and the buckshot rattle spoon or the forage minnow jig'n spoon are all killers here in Michigan. Also can't go wrong with the yooper made swedish pimple!

I'm with Deitz, JB Rattlin' Varmints, esp. in glow red. If you see those anywhere this year, buy like 5 of them. I had a hard time finding them and liked them so much I ordered a pile. 1/8oz was my favorite, as they'll work for eyes, perch, crappie......Deitz even pulled a near pounder bluegill on the 1/8oz. model when we were fishing last year!

Here's one of a pile of URL eyes that liked the varmint:

eye_rs.JPG

Here's a pic of last year's bonus bass on a rattlin' varmint:

mikew_bass.JPG

Joel