• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Who is the Strongest Fish??

wildcatcreek

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my experience, Carp and big Channels are on the top of the list. I caught a 16 lb. Flathead that didn't fight nearly as hard as the 7 lb. Channel I caught. One time a 7 lb. Carp pulled me down the bank of the river about 15 ft. before I got him to settle down enough to get him in.

bluegill go for over a pound in some places.. I'm not sure what the MN state record is but I THOUGHT it was over 1 lb. There are some monster bluegill down south too.

Pound for pound I'd probably give it to bluegill.

Biggest fight you'll get fishing freshwater really should be sturgeon simply because they have the possibility to get so [PoorWordUsage] big.. I just look at pictures of those double digit-footer world records and my eyes go all buggy.

Kenai River king salmon shouldn't be forgotten, they'll go on the longest runs of you're life. Even 15 lb silver salmon will go on incredible runs, I can't imagine what a huge kenai king would be like.

I don't have much experience with the bigger freshwater fish unfortunatly.. my biggest fight was in salt water hooking into a big samson fish out of perth.. Literally almost pulled me overboard fishing with super heavy gear. Of course I think the reason it just about pulled me overboard was because the fish was in the mouth of a shark, leaving me with just the fish's head after he was done chewing. It's pretty impressive to see a fish head the size of your torso, and realizing something ate the rest laugh

I'd have to say for freshwater fish a native brook trout is the fastest and strongest fish.

The coaster in my avatar was caught on the same exact rig I have taken countless pound and half sunnies/bluegills, northerns up to 20 lbs., smallmouth over 5 lbs, etc., and there was no comparison. The speck was the "toughest fish" winner hands down. Runs of 20-30 yards that would put a 15 lb. snot rocket to shame - deep bulldogging that made a bluegill look like a total wuss.

If the state's bluegill record is only a pound - I can guarantee you it is broken almost daily on some lakes. The biggest I have weighed was nudging close to 2 lbs.

Steelhead! You catch a fresh 7 or 8 # Steelhead in 50 degree water and for the first few minutes all you can do is hang on try to figure out what they are gonna do next. King Salmon run like a fast freight train. The 53" Sturgeon I caught put a really good fight too, but just not as exciting as Steelhead and Kings.

Well, I'm a muskie guy first and foremost and I'll admit they don't make the list! I've caught 35 pound fish that weren't really that impressive of a fight. Short flashes of power, no sustained fight.

Bowfin: I've sworn I've had a state record bass on a couple times, and they can tear a spinnerbait apart. By the way, there's a new Minn record at 11# 15oz from the St Croix, cool!

Bluegill: Great at circling, and using the weeds, biggest I've ever caught was 1#6 oz.

Salmon: Done the Algoma trip a few times with 25lbers caught, lot of power, but a lot of line out too.

Pike: 25lbers in Canada, again a lot of burst, but not the sustained power.

Carp: Caught them on lighter tackle and have literally pulled the boat around.

Smallmouth: Had a 20 inch fish this summer in a small river that was a battle!

Flatheads: Only a 20lber, but raw power. They have current to their advantage as well in most cases.

Sturgeon: I've only caught little ones, but watched a 59 inch fish make 4 of us scramble, take out 4 lines and an anchor.

My vote: Sturgeon at #1, again based on what I've seen. Carp at #2, smallies at 3rd place.....

I hooked into a coho that I thought was gonna be a record, but I did not see when he jumped one of the trebles grabbed his side. Any fish you pull in sideways puts up a great fight! After watching that video of the sturgen, I have never caught one, but that thing has my vote!

My vote goes to sturgeon. Pound for pound means nothing. I enjoy pannies on UL gear but it does not compare to watching the long MH rod bend to a U shape time after time leaving you in an almost sureal state after you return the beast to the depths. It's as close to sharkin' as we get around here.