• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How will the snow change the hunt?

If there is corn, that would be the first place I would look. We have about 200+ acres of corn still standing on our property. Its the only corn in the area so it could be good as for attracting deer, but stalking them or trying to get them out of 200 acres won't be easy.

If the snow is coming down hard and its as windy as they are saying, look for them in any kind of cover. In bad weather we will often find a lot of deer bedded down on the edge of sloughs in the catails.

This small amount of snow should not affect them too much. It's just going to help us pattern them and see them in the woods a little easier.

I think who ever is hunting around corn this year is not going to do very well. I don't see them leaving the cover/food.

yay for snow!! Boo for rain!! Now I'm gonna be soaked from the waise down walking to the stand!! Oh well, thats the price ya pay I guess. Would definately like to see more snowflakes than raindrops. Fingers crossed.

Hopefully deer will be on the move with this cold snap. They will need fuel in their tanks so they should be moving around during the day.

but will any of the snow stick is the question...

I hunt around the Herman area and the report I got from a family member is snow starting to night and continuing until Saturday morning with several inches of accumalation expected.

The cold and snow won`t make them get out and move more but the oncoming rut will. I hunt in farm country only yea there in the corn but the sloughs and woods are still were it`s at. As had been said before try huntin the corn crossing rows, wind, rain and snow helps.

At least were not in the Dakota, 6-10 inches of SNOW!!! White out conditions

Speak for yourself! haha

Actually I think I would be crazy not to go out this Saturday morning and try it. The deer should be hunkered down today and tomorrow, and then moving Saturday!

6 to 10 inches maybe in rapid City. I've got a 10 foot high 40 foot wide drift across my drive and a 14 foot high 15 wide in the back. West river deer is suppose to open saturday. The Northern hills got up to 44 inches. All this pushed by some 70MPH winds. This started Wednesday morning with wind and rain then got worse & worse. Wind is still kickin around 35-40. I don't go til the 14th but, I know that country and know I'm not gonna get to my spots. This isn't gonna go away til May. It's socked in for the duration.

dahiti

the tracks in the snow this morning will show the very latest in deer movement

corn up in fields will likely not change for a couple days here as nearly 1 inch of rain and now a inch of snow on it will make combining tuff.

as the outside rows of corn had been taken by regular october predation,squirells,deer coon,wind the der will now make rows of trafic areas into fields to eat.Saw one of these yesterday where a garage size area had been gobbled up since Sunday.

Look for travel areas into and out of corn this morning early and you should see where deer were last night,look againbefore dark today and you will see where the deer were today

snow last night may make this one of the best saturday openers in many years good luck

Only thing that could keep them hunkered down tomorrow could be the high winds. If snow is still on the ground with this wind, if your not seeing deer it would be a perfect time to stalk cross row through a corn field (if you have permission and it's not sooo large.)