Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Grandee

Ice hole protection.

16 posts in this topic

Just curious if anyone has seen a device that you can put across your hole. Like a straight bar that would protect someone if they stepped into the hole. Just as a safety precaution.

I have not heard of such a product... Steppin in ice holes is not fun though.

I'm looking for some thing the same only I want it so my lab pup won't go for a swim.

Get a ice house hole cover or just cut a piece of plywood to cover it. www.soderbloom.com has some of those ice house hole covers. I think a piece of plywood would be cheapest. Just cut 2 small finger holes to get them off the ice if they freeze in.

I watched a show the other week where on their tip ups they had a round lid with a small tube stuck in the middle. The line was put through the tube and into the water. The poured something into the tube to prevent the line from freezing. Something environmentally friendly.

Pretty spending for the environment... drunk walleyes?

I do not advise useing booze to kep the hole from freezing. Some years ago on Carp lake in British Columbia we poured a Litre of Crown Royal down the hole because of the -41 F temp. Well kids to make a long story short the water is very clear there you can see 22 feet down to the bottom. After 30 or so minutes the fish were so drunk they could not swim straight, when the would go for the bait they would miss by a good 6"

OK I AM JUST KIDDING HERE !

epkirkman, Naw, Some Jack Daniels would work!

TMF89, Look at the return!! Haven't you heard??? "Candy's dandy, but LIquor's quicker"!!! grin Phred52

I have a great idea. Tried putting a patent on it, but it costs way too much. The idea I have I will be using in my fish house this winter, so the kids don't step in or drop stuff in the holes. It would also work on the ice without a shelter. Not sure if I can reveal it with the paper work for the patent. I will find out and let you know. Not sure how good this will work yet. Not sure if it will cause the holes to freeze up faster or not.

I made some. I will post a pic after this weekend. It works for my rattle reels at night so the kids do not fall in the hole anymore.

Pictures would be great. I'm willing to try anything to keep my little ones safe. Sounds like we have some good ideas. Thanks

Grandee... email me at ajmurf@ hotmail.com and I will give you some ideas on what to do.