• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I usually toss out some goose decoys with my duck spread, especially if I'm hunting bigger water and not a little puddle. Where I hunt the geese come in after feeding and go to the bigger water (lake, bigger sloughs) and so do the ducks.

I put out a spread of a mix of mallard, teal, and woodie decoys and on the outside of the spread, about 10 yards or so away from the ducks I toss out some goose floaters.

Works quite well where I hunt.

Wade we needed some Northern birds but now that can wait till after deer season.

I'm hunting a spot that I'm limited to one location and have a blind so sometimes the wind isn't always perfect but will adjust the decoys the best I can. On top of that the locals have sanctuary and feed all in one spot so its been tough to get them to even look. I need them to leave but it won't happen till ice up.

Up to this point I've a good chance at geese and mallards so I set up for both but kept them separate. Getting the ringnecks and woodies to come in isn't a problem. If I get out again after both I might incorporate both together depending on the wind.

Next phase will be be targeting Bluebills and Northern Mallards, geese will be slim here. I'll use a couple confidence goose decoys next to the mallards in a pocket downwind and the Bills strung out deeper in front.

I always put a few ducks in the honkers to start with sometimes I add to them some times I dont I like to put teal decoys on the fringe of them as welldependds on how tight may goose floaters are. I wonder if I should just have goose decoys and duck decoys all over never and put pockets within the decoys. just like everything in hunting do what they tell ya to do even if its move a decoy here or there

Ive had good results separating them and combining them. the first flock of geese should tell you. If you get a loner or a pair that wont commit then I would change it up. I usually start with the geese mixed in. one thing I have found is that my spread is never perfect on the first try. I usually end up changing it up after I retreive a few ducks