• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How to make a Decoy Spinner

merkman

so either way the potentiometer controls the speed no matter the motor?

Until you give the DC motor more voltage than it can handle... then there is smoke and no speed.

But that is limited by your input voltage.

Keep your input at or under the Volt rating on your DC motor and you will be fine.

When you under voltage a DC motor the torque (on most motors) will drop off tremendously. You will notice this when the motor is under load. This application of spinning a spoon in water requires little to no torque so it isn't an issue in this case.

You can get around the torque drop off by electronically pulsing the DC motor at full voltage though the use of an electronic speed controller (trolling motors and RC cars use these), but that is a lot more expensive and not needed in this application.

Generally speaking you won’t hurt a DC motor by undervolting it. Its torque and speed will diminish until it has too few volts and it just won’t spin.

Keep your input voltage at or under the motors rating and the top end is taken care of too.

AC motors are different they require constant voltage.

lol, BNS ur just jealous you dont have one, after all elwood did have the only nord come in to that thing at the last gtg....... smile

I cant seem to pick out a good potentimeter, last try and Im saying heck with it! and Im gonna buy one from the Hillbilly Engineering Team pro shop....

There is a hole drilled thru the shaft on the motor. I use 80lb powerpro fishing line to a snap. I also made the line exter long and doubled it up. ran it thru the shaft the tied it bakc to the sline with a slip knot so I can lengthen the line for depth.

Very small drill bit and slowly clamp it in a vise center punch and drill nothing to it. grin

I just looked at mine and I put a snap thru the hole in the shaft then ran the line thru the snap. I will try to get some pics up later I 'm going to visit my dad and shackbash today.

my truck broke down on the way there this morning so I limped it back and road down with my mom to see dad and didnt make over to see shack but just got off the phone with his better half and they just moved him to the 7th floor so he is out of the ICU he moving up in the world