• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How to make a Decoy Spinner

merkman

Here is the latest from the Hillbilly Spearer's Engineering team.

I present to you... the decoy spinner.

Finished Product

3006648903_91e4a750ba.jpg

Exploded View

3007484150_7253dca58e.jpg

I found the motor at the local electronics salvage store.

I paid $12 for the motor... I little more than I wanted to, but it was the perfect size.

Then I picked up

a switch for a buck,

a 9 Volt battery for a buck,

and a potentiometer for 50 cents.

Then it was off to the hardware store to get $2.50 worth of 1" PVC fittings.

A friend and I slapped it all together and I think it turned out pretty cool.

It has an on off switch and the speed can be adjusted as slow as you would like it.

Overall I am really happy with it.

I will post a schematic in this thread later (as soon as I type it up).

If you would like to build something like this let me know I can help with any questions you may have.

I have a question. Would the spinning of the decoy take a way from the natural like swimming action of a good decoy? I'm not the brightest bulb in the drawer so I may be missing something. thanks

Actually this has multiple uses.

If I hooked it up to a decoy I would spin it VERY slow, about 1/2 RPM.

In that case the decoy would be rotating rather than "swimming".

If I hooked it up to a dardevle without a hook I would spin it faster.

If I hooked it up to a golf ball painted half white and half red I may spin it even faster.

Mercman,

Your parts source was kind of obvious. Ax-Man is one of my favorite stores and I've made many an invention with the things I picked up there. The latest is a 50' temperature probe for location the thermocline in the summer.

Nice work!

Merkman have you tried it out in the tub yet? You sure got by cheap.

When I was making the teasers the motors were about $18.00 each. They were a gear reduction motor. I had to order 100 motors at a time to get a price break. Used a 6 volt lantern battery. The potentiometer came from Digikey in TRF and was pretty cheap. I used a square plastic case that you could drop or even drive over it and it wouldn’t break. It was to time consuming to make them so I discontinued making them that’s about all a lot of people up here use. No hassle of trying to keep the expensive suckers alive.

Merkman the hillbilly spinner works awsome and I broke it in today spearing a 35 incher came right to it a just stared at it and didnt even look at the live decoy which was ony about 6 inches away from it and the rest is history. like a dummy I left the camera at home so no pics but man that thing works great.

If it says 6 Volt then you can use any voltage up to 6 Volts DC.

Don't go over 6 Volts because you very well may burn it out.

From 0 to some voltage it will not spin.

Once it hits the spin voltage it will spin faster and faster as you add more voltage.

The potentiometer (aka variable resistor) in the schematic controls the voltage.

You could use 4 D Cell batteries in series (plus to minus) (1.5 volts X 4 = 6 Volts) or a 6 volt lantern battery in place of the 9 volt in the schematic.

Many of the drills have 2 speed planetary gear reductions on them. If you have one of those types your spinner will have an added bonus of high and low gear.

If you use a drill motor out of a 12V or higher drill you could hook it up direct to the 12V system in your fish house.