• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What type of oil do you guys run in your ATVs

Sutty

I have a sportsman 500 and I have used the polaris oil so far but was thinking of switching to amz oil or mobil1 full synthetic. Mainly because its out of the way to get to a dealership. Of course I still need to get a filter anyway...

Polaris oil only, the price difference isn't that great, I guess I usually buy 3-4 kits at a time. Three atv's and a ranger in the shed, it takes a few kits a year. There are cross references for the filter I think for the single cylinders the Wix # is 51358. Purolator # is PL14612. Amsoil has Powersports oil 0w40 which is the same weight as the Polaris oil.

I run Rotella synthitic in mine. I would also recomend a Pruolator filter, they are like $2 or $3 and are really good filters. I read an write up online and they are one of the best filters. You can run whatever oil you want aslong as it doesnt have the "energy conserving" seal on the back.

I ran amsoil in my yammy until I traded it in. Have never had an issue with the stuff, love it. I've just bought the oil for my wheeler now. I ran the arctic cat oil until the warranty was up, now it's amsoil

Thanks for the help guys, I just finished changing the oil. I ended up getting Amzoil and I put in a new battery as well.

Question on the oil change, I found the engine drain plug and drained it as well but just for kicks I checked it again after I filled the reservoir tank and the engine tank was still dry. Does it fill up as it runs? I did run it for a little bit after I filled it up but not long.

Per my 2005 Polaris owners manual, the 500 has 2 drain plugs. One on the bottom of the oil tank and a second one on the lower right hand side of the crankcase. It should take 2 qts to refill it. If the sump is not drained it will take about 1 3/4 qts oil. They also show a procedure to prime the oil pump if the oil hose connection between the oil tank and pump inlet is disconnected.

Yep Polaris ATV oil is 0w40 synthetic.

I took out the Polaris oil at 10 hours and went to Amsoil Power Sports 0w-40. Engine runs great with it in.

[Note from admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

Oil analysis has been performed and the Polaris oil is nothing special and actually specs out at a 20w-50........

I haven't picked up the gear case lube yet. I don't have a dealer nearby and don't want to put the wrong stuff in. Plus it looks like a pain in the arse to refill. Only place I see is the dipstick tube and that isn't so huge of an opening. Looks like a job for a home brewed paper funnel and some slow pouring...