Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KG243

Rattling?

19 posts in this topic

Is it too early to start doing this? I just picked up one of the rattle bags and I am excited to use it. Thanks!

No go for it. But just so you know if you have alot of does and few bucks in your area you will see poor results most of the time. But you can keep rattling right into mid December. I never have had great results due to buck to doe ratio in my area but I stick with it. When it works it works well. I've rattled them in as second week of the season just by mocking to bucks sparing. I like horns over bags but I use both. Good luck and don't give up on it.

Yea I would do it lightly and if you have an old set of horns like tipup said I would use those over bags but thats my personal preferance

Thanks for the ideas guys, as for the bag I got them becaus I hunt state land and I dont want some drunk to shoot me because I got a set of antlers! You may think it is funny but my niegbor got shot at one year up in his tree stand because he was rattling with antlers! good thing the guy was a bad shot.

I have had great success with rattling, but would agree with previous posts that the ratio affects the results. It seems like this week and into rifle season have had the best results. I smack them together pretty good so the sound carries.

How high was he sitting in the tree?

15 feet! The guy took off runing when he figured out what he had done. Dumb a$$

haha LOL I know i Shouldnt be laughing but thats unreal to me how someone could do that! number one rule know your target and whats beyond it! good luck to all be safe. I hope the rattling goes well.

If using real horns make shure you soak them in water for a day or two before the season. It gives them deeper sound. I you use real horns try it you will see what I mean they will not be so tingy. Plus you can paint your horns orange. I have two sets one is orange for gun season. I don't care to get shot at either.

tipup thats a good idea, but I have only harvested one buck in my life and it was a spike and I dont have the antlers anymore! I geuss I will have to get one this season!

I had great luck one year why I rattled like crazy when i saw a deer a long way off -- then I was watching where he went and I heard a angry snort behind me -- there was a buck as wide as a mule deer. He busted my (came in from down wind -- should have thought about that ...

by the time I grabbed the shotgun he was running at full speed at lead 200 yards away -- I did not take a shot with the shotgun ...

when I saw him looking at me he was less than 50 yards. well, I guess that is how they get big

Yea remember 90 percent of the time deer will come or circle down wind. Cover scent helps out huge in that case.

Rattling was working this morning. My cousin is in his stand down in Houston, MN and already rattled in 4 bucks this morning. The biggest being a 2 1/2 year old 8pt.

I have had some success rattling,but mostly with smaller bucks. During the rut I have better luck with a doe bleat. Bucks are way more interested in does than other bucks at this time.

Before pressure became a big factor, I knew a guy who took a mature buck on state land rattling 9 years in a row by lake george.

How long of rattle sequences do you do and with what time intervals? I know it can vary but just looking for a general combination to start off with

yesterday i called in a smaller buck w/ the can call,my brother rattled in an 8 point that was all busted up and today my uncle rattled in a fork horn