• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What Smoker??

This may have been covered in other posts but here goes anyway. I'm thinking of getting the ol'man a smoker for Christmas so I am looking for advice on a decent brand and size. He would primarily be using it to smoke up some sausage, venison jerky, maybe some fish and likely some whole turkeys. Any advice on a good quality unit would be appreciated! Thanks..NAMA

NAMA

I have a Brinkman charcoal and a gas smoker and they both have there place. When I make jerky I like the charcoal with hickory chips in tinfoil. I will start my charcoal in one of those round deals with newspaper and fill it half full just so the heat will stay down and in about 1 hour I will change racks and flip all the meat and smoke for one more hour. It is some tasty stuff. I also like to smoke turkey breast,porkbutt that way. I use my gas when I make sausage because I only want the smoke and no other flavor and I can be more precise on the temps.

I went the cheapo route and am mostly satisfied. Found an old Brinkmann charcoal variety at a garage sale for $5. Spent $35 at Cabelas for an electric coil converter kit, and the thing does darn well.

However, electric takes some experimentation and caution if the food will be too close to the element. Propane seems the way to go IMO with the flexibility you have in setting the temp.

Joel

Well, he ended up with a Brinkman electric smoker! A freind of ours gave him one for doing some work for him so that kind of blew my Christmas gift thing out of the water! Oh well. He smoked some salmon up in it the other day but I never heard how it turned out,hope he likes it cuz I got a bunch of vension to make some jerky with !! grin