• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Arrows for recurve

AaronM

How does one go about finding the correct arrow for your recurve? The archery places I've been to don't allow you to test different arrows out. I'm shooting an older Ben Pearson 45#. Is there a general rule of thumb out there? Thanks!

Lookin for wood,alum? try a range ask if ya could try their practice arrows,explain yourself and maybe buy a half doz. from them.After testing.

I use the same alum.arrows as I use for my 13 yr old compound.Arrow selection isn't as much of a science as new compounds.

When I started to get into trad I too shot a 45# pearson recurve. I would look at 2016 aluminum shafts first. I also had some success with 2113's. But for me the 2016 were the way to go.....

Ok, so I looked back at my notes, took a minute to find it. Out of my 45# pearson I shot 2113 easton shafts. They were noted to be brittal (sp) often breaking rather than bending. I switched to the 2016 legacy shafts because they shot well out of both my 50 and 45# bows. The 2016's held up to a lot more abuse and lasted longer.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

There's a place called 3 rivers (which you can google), and they sell "test kits" which enable you to buy a dozen or so arrows of different spines, so that you can figure out which ones shoot the best for you. Unfortunately, however, these are carbon or wood arrows, not aluminum. I like carbon arrows - they are pretty durable and shoot great out of a recurve.

FishFrenzy--What is your draw length? And what weight head do you plan on using?

like others have said, the 2016 and 2113 should both work.. the 2016 has thicker walls to the shaft and would be more durable.

My draw length is 28 inches, not sure on the head weight yet, still trying to figure out the arrow situation. I'll look into the 2016's...thanks for the tips! Do any of you cut your arrows down?

different grain tip and cut to length will change the spine as well. Play around with it, I shoot carbon xpress ultimas out of my Jordan Stalker takedown both 55# and 70# limbs with different lengths. You are best off planning on shooting a 100 gn broadhead minimum and the longer your fletchings the quicker it will stabilize which is more important with recurves. Also remember to get feathers not vanes. Good luck.

Dietz,

Not trying to call you out, but....

The charts tend to work well for compound shooters. But for some reason they tend to be several sizes to large for recurve/longbow shooters. I am not sure why, but that is how it seems to be.