• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

FAVORITE WATER DEPTH "WALLEYE" ICE TIME!

marshmallow

JUST CURIOUS ON MY FRIENDS FAVORITE DEPTHS FOR WINTER "WILBURS".. TAKING INTO CONSIDERATION,ALL OF THE FACTORS.. TIME OF YEAR, STRUCTURE ,WEATHER COND, WATER CLARITY, VEGETATION, ETC.. I MYSELF FEEL COMFORTABLE FISHING "18" OR "24" FEET.. EVEN ON L.O.T.W. MILLELACS LEECH AND OTHER FACTORIES I FISH.. IT IS ALSO NICE WHEN SOME BRUISER CRAPPIES PAY A VISIT IN THESE DEPTHS.. I HAVE EXPERIENCED THAT A NUMBER OF TIMES.. HAVE FUN THIS WINTER.. AND THANK YOU..

I'm with DD at whichever depth the fish are biting.

As I do most of my fishing in SW MN, for early ice this usually means between 5-9 feet. Towards mid season it's more in the area of 5-9 feet. Then later on in the season they will have a tendency to be between 5-9 feet.

These depths all depend on the mood of the fish, however. grin

When I'm away from SW MN and fishing in lakes actually deeper than a puddle, I'll do some roaming around with the auger, LX-5, lake map, and gps to figure which depth I'll be fishing, which can vary from anywhere from 60 feet to the 5-9 foot range.

On Tonka it's 18 to 21 like clockwork. The only exception is way scary early ice when they'll come up a little further.

I have read a lot about the tonka eyes coming through those depths "like clockwork" but only for a short amount of time and its when they are coming from deep heading up to the shallows, so with that thinking I think I would rather be up where they are heading for a longer bite through the night instead of a few fish in the magic hour and nothing after. I dont get out and do this so what do I know, its just what I remember reading about them tonka eyes.

Good point fishin chad, that may be the case. I've always felt the fish are moving "through" versus moving "up". By that I mean they move up from the deeper water at dusk to that depth range and start making their rounds. They seem to hang on that range and just cruise along foraging.

For the last two seasons a buddy and I have place our houses about 100 yards apart. Same depth ,same bottom everything. We start out in my house and the bite starts shortly after 5:00 and for the next 20 to 30 minutes we'll get 2 maybe 3 walleyes. By 5:40 or if we haven't had a bite in 10 minutes we grab our stuff and hotfoot it over to his house and get at least 2 more in the next 20 minutes.

I've experienced this with crappies too. This might explain why when your talkin to guys everyone has that magic time window for getting bit but they're all slightly different.

I focus on anywhere from 6-45. If you use electronics and don't mark a fish for 10 minutes or so time to move on. Don't wait for the fish to find you. Go and find them. I am a firm believer of moving often to find the fish.

Personally i have to my guests on fish that will bite all day regardless of what they are doing in the house usually that points a little deeper. 25 ft plus down to 70ish but a good average i would say is 25-42 with access to shallower weedline fish 14-25 ft within legal tip-up distance of the house, hope that makes sense,

No i do not drill at prime time. I am the guy that drills many holes earlier in the day. Usually 40 or 50 holes gets me on the fish here in Michigan. I don't get to fish lakes like you Minnesota guys. Biggest lake by me is 1600 acres unless you count the Great lakes but I don't fish them in the winter.

Well for me, my favorite is 18", if I can find 3' that is a plus. Not kidding. I have caught some very nice fish with about 12" of water below the ice. One would not think they are in there, but the are.

this guy knows whats up...i should of never showed my friends..it was more fun when i outfished them everynight on my tip up