• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The "Get out of my stand" Argument on Publilc Land

tbreuhl

We purchased property 5 years ago with state land along our eastern border. While still hunting, I came across a permanent stand with nobody around - no boot tracks, nothing. Out of curiousity I climbed up simply to look around. I sat there for about 5 minutes and surprisingly a 6 pt. came running through. No joke. I shot it, gutted, and hauled him out. About 2 hours later two orange figures come stomping across our field. They sarcastically mentioned the buck and proceeded to "chew me a new one" for being in their stand. I wasn't trying to cause issues, but simply told him I was sorry, we had just purchased the land, and didn't know they hunted there. He told me to stay out. I advised him that I wouldn't climb "his" tree stands, but he wasn't going to dictate where I roamed during season. That escalated the situation and they continued the butt chewing. Bottom line - hunter respect is one thing, ignorance is another.

We purchased property 5 years ago with state land along our eastern border. While still hunting, I came across a permanent stand with nobody around - no boot tracks, nothing. Out of curiousity I climbed up simply to look around. I sat there for about 5 minutes and surprisingly a 6 pt. came running through. No joke. I shot it, gutted, and hauled him out. About 2 hours later two orange figures come stomping across our field. They sarcastically mentioned the buck and proceeded to "chew me a new one" for being in their stand. I wasn't trying to cause issues, but simply told him I was sorry, we had just purchased the land, and didn't know they hunted there. He told me to stay out. I advised him that I wouldn't climb "his" tree stands, but he wasn't going to dictate where I roamed during season. That escalated the situation and they continued the butt chewing. Bottom line - hunter respect is one thing, ignorance is another.

Was he on your land? If so I would have told him before he said anything I would have said do you relise you are on private property? I can call the local LEO or CO if youd like. I understand you shot the deer out of "his stand" but I would not have stood for that on my own property. But that is why i try to stay away from people because I dont want to [PoorWordUsage] of the wrong guy with a gun! Happy hunting!

Was he on your land? If so I would have told him before he said anything I would have said do you relise you are on private property? I can call the local LEO or CO if youd like. I understand you shot the deer out of "his stand" but I would not have stood for that on my own property. But that is why i try to stay away from people because I dont want to [PoorWordUsage] of the wrong guy with a gun! Happy hunting!

He was on our land when we were talking, I brought that up....whole other story! Had there been cell coverage, the CO would have been called. Longer story - shorter, they don't hunt there anymore.

Interesting side note, I have seen TONS of permanent and "portable" stands up on Gores Pool WMA by Hastings, as well as plenty of hunting shacks and party spots in the WMA adjacent to the river.

Anybody know what the deal is with that? I can't believe a CO hasn't boated by on the Mississippi and seen all the shacks from the river. Heck, one of em is directly under a WMA sign.

Glad I don't hunt there, it looks like it'd be madness during gun season

We have a a general area a friend has hunted for years and now someone has a built a deer stand on it. This is public land. What are your thoughts of who should hunt it - who was their first or who built the stand first?

I know the legal "RULES" - first come first serve - but what about the unwritten rules - good sportman??

Just trying to get your thoughts? I hate to get in an argument opening morning at 6:00 b/c no one will see a deer but I also know land is getting tougher to find unless you have the money to buy some and I hate to give up a good spot.

Whatever ended up happening?