Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
slabchaser

little duck id help

14 posts in this topic

I will look it up but I just wanted to know what everyone else would think when they first saw it. I saw a duck yesterday that was massive. It was at a distance and made a few passes but it had a lot of white through out his body but a clear white patch on his wing. As I was working this duck we had a flock of woodducks come buzzing in so we shot at the woodducks but as they flew away the mystery bird and the woodducks were right next to each other. the big duck was 3 times the size of the woodducks. Anyone know what it could have been. This bird stumped me.

Could be a Merganser.I've been seeing lots of them recently in my area.

Common Merganser???

White winged scooter??

Both big ducks google them and see which one looks like your mystery duck.

I agree with both above, prolly a common merganser - they are pretty good size, and have a lot of white.

Maybe a merganser otherwise once in awhile you see tame ducks that have found a wild flock and they wonder out into the swamp. They have various colors due to cross breeding and are really big sometimes larger than a mallard. There are some in our area that one of our neighbor releases every year after raising them. I doubt that many make it out of the state alive.

my only geuss would be a lawn dart( common merganser)

"lawn dart" - that is great! smile I bet that is what it is too. "big" and "white on wings" is what does it for me.

gotta give credit were credit is do thanx my buddy jeol for givin me the border patrol to watch thats the first time I heard a slang name for them goose ganzirs.

hey thanks guys i will be on the same lake it has had little pressure so maybe I will see him again call him into the dekes and get a solid ID

I am going with the common "needle-beak" as well.

Mer-gooney

My Dad always used to call them "woodpeckers" smile

Sawbill, fish duck, chisel head or some people call them practice ducks.