• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What time and why?

What time does everyone get to the stand on opening morning? I have had some people tell me they dont go out until after sunrise and some people head out 2 hours before. Me I head out a half hour before legal shotting times.

I agree with Black jack an hour before you can shoot. Plus other hunters can only help to push deer into your area if they come in later and if your in your stand and quiet I feel it always helps. I try to get in before my neighbors

For me it really depends on which spot I am hunting.

There are a couple spots that I get to an hour before shooting time because when other people come in (from a different direction on private land)I will be in position for any deer that get pushed towards me.

There are other spots that I will wait until shooting time or just before because there may be deer in those that I want to get a jump shot at or push them towards other people in my party.

This is in farm country, where deer generally follow lake shores, fence lines and other obvious land marks and the "woods" are small tracts of 5-10 acres or less.

I don't like to walk in in total darkness. I'd rather walk in while I can see a deer I might encounter along the way. It is also noteworthy that I have never taken a deer while walking to my stand in the morning.

Just my preference though.

Bob

my preference is to get there about 1hr before shooting time or a little bit before so I can put fresh wicks out and also get settled and organized, it's amazing how big and loud a red squirrel or mouse can be at 6:15

My goal is to be at my stand one hour before sunrise, that gives me 1/2 hour to settle in before legal shooting light and gives the woods 1/2 hour to calm down from my noisy walk in.

That is a good rule between an hour and an hour and a half before sun up is a good one for me.

I am usually in my stand an hour and half before shooting time, and the reason why is because I hunt public land so the early bird gets the worm! Plus I am there when all those guys come stomping through the woods after sunrise to intercept deer!

At least 1 hour before legal shooting time for me. I really like being able to get in, get settled in and let things calm down. Besides, the wildlife you see in that time before shooting light is sometimes incredibly cool. In my old stand I saw a big timber wolf every morning on the swamp edge and for 4 years straight I saw a black bear cruise by. All about 30 minutes before legal time.