• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

evening hunt disrupted

youngie22

Last night I was out and happened to get interupted by the DNR foresters. Not a big deal at all to me; I was sitting in a ground blind and from the distance I heard tractor heading my way. Well they were coming right to the field I was sitting on. Waited to see if they would just pass, but no dice. tractor and pick up stop 40 yds from me and seem to take break. I picked up and headed out. I got to meet "Jim" from Faribult. He sincerely apologized for moving in on me but oh well, what do you do? We each had a few questions for eachother, chatted for a while. BUT, any how what they were up to; THey plowed a bean field and then began planting it or spreading walnuts and acorns! never have seen this practice before. Any one ever hunted over this type of thing? I know there is deer in ther area. Curious what people have seen come of this? What might it be like this late fall, next week, next year? Will this become a grass land and in many years become a forest again? If any one has noticed this before I am curious to know what to possibly expect in the future!

Last night I was out and happened to get interupted by the DNR foresters. Not a big deal at all to me; I was sitting in a ground blind and from the distance I heard tractor heading my way. Well they were coming right to the field I was sitting on. Waited to see if they would just pass, but no dice. tractor and pick up stop 40 yds from me and seem to take break. I picked up and headed out. I got to meet "Jim" from Faribult. He sincerely apologized for moving in on me but oh well, what do you do? We each had a few questions for eachother, chatted for a while. BUT, any how what they were up to; THey plowed a bean field and then began planting it or spreading walnuts and acorns! never have seen this practice before. Any one ever hunted over this type of thing? I know there is deer in ther area. Curious what people have seen come of this? What might it be like this late fall, next week, next year? Will this become a grass land and in many years become a forest again? If any one has noticed this before I am curious to know what to possibly expect in the future!
youngie what area they plantin with oak & walnut? Always got gunney sacks full at Trout Brook.

Sounds like they are doing a broadcast seeding for the species of trees mentioned. It is real effective on producing nice trees. I don't want to take the time to fully explain the process, but google it and you will find your answer, "Broadcast Tree Planting".

Hope this helps, as I think from what you described this is what they are doing.

A friend of mine had this done a few years ago in one of the buffer areas along the LeSeuer River as part of a CREP project. Takes awhile but it is coming in nicely now with a nice mix of small oaks and walnuts. The nuts and other tree seeds were broadcast with what appeared to be a regular bulk fertilizer spinner spreader, then disked in. No rows so it looks more like Mother Nature did it herself and is probably better from a disease & insect standpoint than the monoculture approach.

I probably didn't ask Jim all the right questions but he did say they were going to let it grow not sure how long. He also said that was the last 30 acres for the day. How many acres can they or will they let grow wild and for how long? Forever? I would assume some agriculture will be there again sooner or later. Has anyone else seen this done to some land near them? I would think it may attract some deer and other wild life to the area this season, and hopefully create habitat for a ton in the coming years. Sparce... I can't really broadcast the area, sorry way to busy down there already. I am sure you've been in the area before.

Gotchya.I have read the DNR is planting this method like dotch mentioned NATURAL,Lots better for the environment and easier on the eyes no straight rows!

If its public land and Oaks & Walnuts they live hundreds of years,I'm happy to hear of this type work by our DNR!!

Easy now.... No reason to get all agitated. I was just asking a question. I probably would have taken a closer look at a site like that if the forestry service just got done bradcasting it with acorns and wallnuts. A guy would hate to end up ticketed for it.