Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
weld1

Ice auger powered by cordless drill?

17 posts in this topic

I remember a couple of years ago seeing a ice auger that was powered by a cordless drill.... anyone out there have any info on something like this? thanks for any help!

I have heard you get one maybe two holes out of them and they are dead, don't know if thats true, but thats what I heard

I think they work ok if you have the right auger. I'm told they work better with a 6" or 5" auger. I am going to give it a try this year if I get a new drill. It may be a good idea to bring two batteries. I don't know it looks cool.

Some of the bada$$ drills they have now will get quite of few holes I hear.

On the ice fishing today show the guy fishing gills was using one. I think it was a 6" bit and he said he got 15-20 holes per charge.

Seems like it would be faster to drill a 5 or 6 inch hole by hand.

I've always liked the idea for thinner ice conditions. But my concern would be mid to later season when the ice is more 18".

Like ec30_06 said it might be faster to use a hand auger. The hand auger would prevent the need for extra batteries and cold kill batteries.

If you go on the Ice Fishing Today HSOforum you can buy the adapter that will fit a strikmaster hand auger. $45

I thought about getting one but I think unless you already own a high quality, high voltage cordless drill you would be better off buying a jiffy or strikmaster electric auger.

I bought the adapter two years ago and use it with my 8" auger. I have an 18 volt DeWalt cordless drill. Here are my thoughts:

- The batteries don't last long in the cold so I would try to keep them warm (i.e. don't leave them in your truck bed all night before use)

- Drill all of your holes right away before the batteries get cold

- The drills don't do a good job of breaking through that last bit of bottom ice. Drill down to that point and then hand-auger through the last bit. It will save wear and tear on your drill

- Using a drill for ice augering puts a LOT of stress on the drill. I'm not qualified to say if it puts too much stress on the gears, but you can feel the plastic body of the drill twisting.

After using the drill option a bunch of times, I decided that it wasn't worth it and went back to the hand auger. Maybe somebody else has had a different experience.

I built a adapter for my 8" hand auger last winter to try with my 18v milwaukee. That drill is a beast and after drilling maybe 2 holes I thought it was going to ruin my drill. I think they are way to hard on drills and it isn't much faster. It may have worked better with a 5 or 6"

Or do like I did and get an Ice Gator Electric, know you have the power, and have no fumes to go with it. I understand the "thinking" that this sounds great, which it does, but lets face it. Today's average had drills just weren't made to do this.

I used one last year and intend to purchase one this year. (the addaptor for the 18V drill) The thing was great. Out drilled my gas drill and my hand drill times threw 18" of good solid ice. The guys I spoke to said they get between 30 and 40 holes out of a battery and they were drilling a lot of holes that day.

I would say if you already have a good quality drill go ahead and try it. If you dont, by the time you spent the $$$ on a good drill, you can get a good start on a Gator or a quality gas drill.

The only thing I have seen involing hand drills is the sluch remover that attatches to a cordless.

Thanks for the info guys, is the adapter like a gear reducer type thing? thats what i think saw at the show a couple of years ago, it was like a gear reducer between the drill and auger bit??

No, it is a "bit" that replaces the handle on your hand auger and fits directly into the chuck on your drill. No reduction in gears.

The one I used last year was on an 18volt deWalt and a 6" mora auger.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• 23 IN THE BOAT HERE ON HIDDEN BAY again today. Sunshine Ray’s extended forecast is calling for rising temps and sunshine every other day. This would give us a warm melt for the snow that has gathered on roofs and the Lodge should get busy. I can see a lot of fishermen out on the ice and more then a few will be taking off time from work to get out there. As a mater of fact I am at the Lodge this morning. Was feeling pretty good with lots of energy so I thought I would come in and do some ordering and touch base with some of our suppliers who make daytime deliveries.   First thing I noticed when the wife dropped me off was a couple of old lawn mowers outside. When I came in I found Tiny working on a small carburetor. I had to talk to him and I found out that somehow we, the Lodge have become a drop off spot for old, gently used lawn mowers. I then remembered the tongue in cheek commercial I had made a few weeks ago. Looks like someone was listening and dumped their junk on us. Tiny did say he thinks he can take the parts from the two and get one running. The Lodge needs a push mower so maybe this will work out afterwards. Tiny also mentioned that someone dropped off a case of thirty weight oil, Gus took that he said.   Luge run is up and running, with all the snow we received last week and the use of Nytelyter front end loader a run was built. With a sunny day followed by a cloudy day we should be able to ice it down and it will last the rest of winter. Well Skinny and Hammering Hank will be doing that. I did get word from Ranger Rick that he had an accident yesterday and will be laid up a few days. He was out checking on the trails at Samantha Lake when he slid the Ranger he was driving down a hill and hit a tree. He cracked the windshield with his head and hit the tree with his hip or part of the Ranger. He is suppose to go see Dock Berrium today but is dragging his feet and everything else trying to get out of bed. The pine tree is still down on Trappers Trail but a detour has been put in around it. Ranger Rick was headed to the tree and the chain saw and other stuff might have been part of the balance problem with the Ranger.   Christmas tree drive is done here at the Lodge. Not as many trees collected as last year but they have all been taken to the Resort to be disposed of. Actually they will be tied in bundles, weighted down and dropped into the bay come spring melt out. Elmer and DOC and Vic will do it and will keep their new crappie spots a secret. Of course if you want to find out where they are all you need do is take a ride in Vic’s mail boat and check the seats. He writes down all his good fishing spots in pencil on his wood bench seats because he does not know how to read them on his handheld GPS unit. The idea of drifting over some of the brush piles sounds like a good idea about now.   Forty may happen on Thursday which is a lot better then minus 20 I will have a day spent at the hospital doing tests. Last years tests are now all bench marks and I have to repeat them now a year latter to see how much damage has been done. Hoping I come out pretty good but I have a lot of work to do before fishing season comes this year. Launching a boat by myself may not be something I can do till late in the season but I sure would like to ride along with Chuck come June. So from a cloudy day here at the Lodge at Lake Iwanttobethere
    • They make a rail that when it slides closed it drops about 1/4". I have these and they are nice for driving down the road but my 3 and 5 year olds can't open them up!   For the doors, I used an rv type style clip. To open you have to push in and then they pop open.
    • I can't imagine a worse job on earth than trying to wrangle a house full of 2-4 year olds with a baby or 2 thrown in for an added challenge...but thankfully someone wants to do it.   Around here the absolute lowest I've seen at an in home day care was $140/week and that was for any age, price didn't change based on age.  $175 is pretty common (again no price change for different ages, my 3 year old and 8 month old cost the same) but have seen it up as high as $225 and all of them were basically at capacity. When you get into day care centers they you can be looking at $300-400/week and the price does go up for infants and babies.    It seems a lot of people get into doing day care when they have their own kids.  They stay home with them to save daycare costs and then bring in other kids to bring in some income and then it goes from there.  Ends up being a pretty decent solution as long as the other person can find a job that provides the benefits. 
      If she does do in home day care just make sure to keep that in mind when buying a new house.  A friends wife does daycare out of their house and he hated their old house because the house layout required daycare to essentially be in the middle of their main living area so he'd come home from work and be in the middle of day care trying to relax with a beer. They ended up moving so that they could get a house that had a good basement set up for a daycare so they could more or less contain it to one area and not let it infiltrate the rest of the house.    
    • Tons of fish on Mille Lacs. LOL right. Must had a lot of people with u for a ton on Mille Lacs.    
    • Up here its not that much but at a home daycare you are still looking at 120 for a toddler 150 for an infant... This way we can save 1700 bucks a month! plus make a few dollars on top.. She was a teacher in a daycare while attending school.. She has a knack for a bunch of kids.. Me not so much. Thanks for the advice nofish!
    • It's that time of year again. Bassmaster Fantasy fishing started up today. I created a group again named HSO Bass. Password: mnbass Feel free to join. 
    • I have both.  The drawer slides work well, but they do open up sometimes going across the lake.  I don't think I've ever had a cabinet door open, though.    
  • Our Sponsors