• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hauling the deer home

Have you ever noticed how snow, slush, road salt, and exhaust stains tend to collect on the rear of a vehicle? I've never understood how anyone would want to place their prize on a trailer or anywhere on the back of a vehicle. Everything that the tires lift up will float behind the vehicle due to wind turbulance that includes the things I already mentioned but can also include exhaust drippings and engine oil from leaks, etc.

Yuck! is right.

Bob

I also think YUCK. But what do you do if a trailer or the hitch thingy is your only option? I hunt out of my house and have a trailer with pretty high sides so its not an issue for me. What is the option for people that only have enclosed SUV's, no trailer, and only the hitch thingy?

If you can not quarter it up then the only option would be to wrap the deer in a couple of plastic tarps and pray for cold weather (which it sound like we will have this weekend) and process the deer when you get home. We always have our deer wrapped and ready for the freezer when we leave so all of my venison is in a cooler for the ride home.

I bring mine home in coolers. But I do enjoy seeing how other people did by their deer being displayed on trailers or the tailgate down for all to see....I suppose not everyone likes to see that but it makes the drive go by faster for me.

I really don't care too much about whether the public is offended. It's a part of nature but at the same time it is detrimental to our way of life to not consider that aspect and from that perspective I'd agree with you CodyDawg.

My primary objective in not having my prize out in the open is to protect the meat that I worked hard to get. Also, I like to think of it as paying good respect to the animal.

Bob

I cut up all my deer and debone them and a normal doe will fit into a five gallon bucket and a buck will need 2. Takes 2-3 hrs to do it good but atleast then it's cut up and your not getting everything into your deer. Then when I get home I clean up the meat and either do it myself or if I'm taking stuff into get processed I freeze it till after the first of the year to make sure it is my deer that I get back.

Last year on the way home, past a camper towing a open jeep. In the jeep sitting upright behind the wheel 8 pt, shotgun doe, back seat two fawns. They all had they're seatbelts on,wish I had a picture. I'm not saying it's the way to do it but it did take me back to a different time.

I drive a Subaru Outback, deer fit perfectly fine in the back in a tarp. Larger deer I might cut off the lower legs to make it fit easier. All my gear gets shuffled around, but it's not a big deal.

I would be hard pressed to find a reason to strap a deer to the outside of my car... period... Unless I had multiple hunters with me, then it might get tarped and strapped to the roof and my bike/kayak rack on top. Or on a trailer with the deer wrapped in a tarp.

Paul,

I would be interested in that recipe as well. char_hanson at hotmail dot com

For the first time ever, my deer was not trimmed out prior to heading home. I tarped him, and put him on top of the Jeep. Would have put him inside, but I think the dog would have gone nuts.