• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Raptor love

Not having any luck finding the wolf/deer kill I'd hoped to find this morning toward Isabella, I boogied west for another afternoon in the Sax-Zim Bog and was greeted by some of the same raptors I photographed yesterday.

And a male northern harrier, to boot.

As a beginning birder in 1972, raptors were my first love among the groups of birds, and that holds true to this day. I was hoping for an owl or two over the last couple days, but if it's got a hooked bill and sharp strong talons and eats meat/fish, it's fine with me. gringrin

All with the Canon 30D and Canon 400 f5.6L, BIF shots iso200, perched shots iso400. All images shot +1 to +2 exposure compensation over evaluative metering, all Al servo focus mode.

Wish the weather wasn't going south even as we speak. There's just something about hawks and eagles that gets the blood pumping, and what with the price of gas, I'd be back tomorrow and the next day but for the rain.

I saw four separate bald eagles and nine separate rough-legged hawks today. Didn't find Jay's road-killed deer on Hwy. 5, so the scavengers must have cleaned it up.

But all the eagles were in the same half mile square, with crows and ravens around, too, though well off the road and toward the northern end of the bog, so there must have been a kill in there somewhere.

A fitting election day portrait

3004190408_c408af59c0_o.jpg

Finished at the polls, heading out

3003355427_bbe44ee12a_o.jpg

Level flight

3003356523_061901d250_o.jpg

Cupped in the wind

3003355895_39f6aca315_o.jpg

Perched in waiting

3003357167_ff3f47f309_o.jpg

A darkening sky

3004193784_5da2f83b1c_o.jpg

Thanks, guys.

For me, the B&W image is hands down the best. Something brooding about that image that asks for printing and framing. I think I'll select the eyes and lighten them just a bit to bring out more detail, and then crop off a bit from the top to get it closer to 8x10 before printing.

A white mat and black frame should do it from there. The least challenging image from the whole day (I was resting my lens on the roof of my SUV and squeezing the mouse squeak in my teeth to get the hawk to look back at me), but the one I like the best.

Man, this weather change sucks. I'd be right back out there tomorrow but for that.

BTW, IMO the eagle launching into the air actually looks like Batman descending on some hapless criminal. gringrin

All nice Steve!...something about "bog fever"....I've had it for a couple years now grin.....that last shot is really special for me......I see one raptor sitting on the famous highway#7 telephone pole.....gotta be the most photographed poles in Minnesota! grin

Great shots Steve, I like the last B&W best too.

The number of rough legged hawks in that area is amazing. They are almost a guaranteed sighting when you head down that way.

Today, I took a ride down to the road kill deer I mentioned a few days ago hoping to catch some eagles on it. Nothing was around, not even a crow so it must be picked clean.