• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Way to put a damper on things.......

This past weekend I was involved in a car accident. A lunatic driver going way too fast came up on the rear of me and tried to squeeze around me while almost hitting the vehicle in the right lane. In the process, the lunatic went out of control and swiped the rear, right side of my truck sending me into a tail spin at 70 mph. My truck ended up backwards through the ditch on the right side of the road, crashed through a fence, and stopped short of a wetlands area approximately 60 yards from the road. It happened shortly before 8:30am last Saturday morning going northbound on I-494 in Maple Grove about 1/3 mile north of Bass Lake Road. Needless to say I am extremely grateful to walk away without a scratch.

Now I am without my truck and am battling with the insurance companies to get a rental truck for the hunting opener. According to the insurance companies, deer hunting isn't a reason enough to put me into a rental truck. What! I'd like to take away their cars and give them a bike for a week and tell them to deal with it.

In recent years, I'm typically the guy who hauls all of our deer home for processing and have really enjoyed taking care of it for everyone. The whole thing has really put a damper on my deer opener but will not keep me out of the woods.

Just thought I'd share my story..........

Sorry to hear about your story FWJ. I hope that something works out for you as far as getting to and from camp is concerned. Maybe one of your hunting partners can step-up this year to take care of the deer and get you a ride up there.

Glad you hear that you are ok though.

Several years ago my house burnt down the week before deer season--I know what you are going thru. I went huntin anyway and needed to get away from the insurance hassels.

You walked away from it--concentrate on that--and enjoy your hunt.

Well, I am sorry to hear that. I saw the tracks today. Looked like it was a rough ride.

I was rear ended this summer and got the run around from the other drivers insurance about a rental vehical. I tried to get something that would haul my boat, but no dice. I ended up with a PT Cruzer. (My daughter and Wanderer's wife named her rubby.) It sucked, couldn't get anything in it. They did make the mistake of giving me unlimited milage grin.

Anyway's, glad to hear you are ok. Hope everything works out

Thankfully I have an eyewitness who has been backing me up with the insurance companies. The eyewitness was generous enough to stick around until the State Trooper arrived on the scene to provide a statement on my behalf. I've called him every day since then and told him how much I appreciate his support. It might be the only chance I have at getting the other guy's insurance company to claim liability for everything.

Neighbor_guy,

Did you happen to notice the fence down by the wetlands? If not, check it out. Oddly enough, when I was standing outside my truck looking at the damage, I saw a large buck (6-point?) running around the opposite side of wetlands. He stood there and looked at me for a few minutes, then he was gone. Maybe it was a sign?

FishingwithJake, you'd be surprised what you can fit into a regular car. I have a buddy that has hauled deer home in his Honda Accord, plus all his archery gear. I regularly hunt out of my Subaru Outback and have hauled deer easily + gear.

Just remember to bring a good sized tarp to wrap the deer in. I doubt blood all over the rental car would go over well...

I rolled my truck in a snowstorm on the way home from bowhunting the Sunday night before gun season about 15 years ago. I too was unharmed, but had to borrow my Grandma's car to go deer hunting. Fortunately I hunt in a big party, so the truck wasn't a big issue.

I dropped a tranny in the same truck about 10 years ago two days before deer hunting. I think I was driving Grandma's car (the same one) for deer hunting that year too.