• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

berkley gulp for ice crappies and sunnies

dpayne

I am wondering if anybody is using plastics for sinnies and crappiies. I tried them off and on last winter and had little luck. Tried red waxies, spikes, chunks and had no luck. Going to try white gulp alive waxies this year. Wondering what is working for you guys with what combinations. Could really use some helpful advice thanks

I prefer the lil atom line of ice plastics. They work real good so do the ratsos and shrimpos from CJ&S without any bait. There are so many options power minnows from berkeley and micro minnows from lindy work excellent also. I use all of these with most any ice jig or collarless jighead with success. Also don't forget the Maki plastics either. I always make sure the plastic is hanging as horizontal as possible on the jig.

I used gulp waxies last year in white and chartruese.

Slaughtered them.

We caught many panfish when they were used with the right jig with the right action. You won't catch them as readily as with a live waxworm, but the bait is cleaner and lasts a lot longer. Hook and bobber is not going to work, but if you provide the action you can call in some panfish from a ways out.

Only used the Gulp product maggots and waxies last year a couple times. As mentioned befroe, you have to provide the action for the lure and the scent and sight alone won't sell the presentation. They are best used with a spring bobber or similar because I found the fish will mouth it and if it goes undetected, spit it back out. Unless your into some really active fish, then it doesn't matter. I'm looking to try more and more of the Gulp products on ice because they have preformed beautifully for me in the open water.

Just a P.S. to all you Gulp! Alive! users out there, the juice can freeze so when you're using it on the ice, keep them in a warm pocket.

Red Gulp! Waxies are a favorate goto bait. Like stated above you have to provide the action. Best luck came on dropper chains or a contrasting jig head with the "Shaky hand lift method" paired with a nice spring bobber. A couple of stores have the Alive! in the Waxies and Maggots but haven't seen the new Fish Fry on the shelf yet. I look forward to trying them all.

I haven't tried the Gulp. But for the last two seasons I have been using Berkley Powerbait Honey Worms. I've caught Catfish, Bass, Blugill, Perch and Crappie. I've had the best luck with Yellow. But have also caught them on Red and Natural colors. They stay on the hook longer than a live waxies. Pannies can't pull them off so easily.

I also like the fact you don't have to bait your hook as often when using gulp. You definitely get much more use out of them. Sometimes I use them in tandem with live bait especially to help hold minnow heads on jigging spoons.