• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Canadian Muskie Help.

riverkid21

Even though I am still making casts this year I am looking ahead to next summer. I am looking at going to Canada for a muskie trip and was just curious if anyone had any input or suggestions. Maybe this post would be more suited for the Canada forum but I wanted to get the input of muskie fisherman first. It's sort of a college graduation present so I am willing to spend some money. I have heard stories of some big fish up there but ultimately I would just love to move and see a lot of fish. Lac Seul and Lake of the Woods seem like obvious choices but are they the best? If so where and what time of the summer? So many questions......

My answer is defiantely LOTW. Without a doubt, but I am biased as I personally think that this is the greatest lake on the planet.

First piece of advice that I would give you, is either go up with someone who has some experience and time on the body of water you choose, or hire a guide for a couple of days and take notes, mark maps, etc to learn the area where you are going to fish. These lakes will bite you in the butt if you are not careful.

If you choose LOTW, anytime the season is open is awesomel. Soo many spots and you can always find active fish. Weather, of course, is always a factor. Mid to late August you will have to deal with the bloom, but if you are willing to travel a bit, you can always find some clean water. Big fish? I guess you could say that, and plenty of them!

We have been fishing on LOTW for the past 14 years and have moved around to a couple of different resorts. Finally found a home that we will base ourselves out of for the rest of our trips. Great location on the lake and it allows us to fish The Big Narrows, east out to the Tug and Sabaskoshin, the Angle and some other spots as well. Great price for the resort and wonderful folks that run it. Lots of great resorts out there, not only the one we stay at. One of the biggest reasons we choose Bay Store was that Frank is a die hard muskie guy and will give you up to date info and help to put you on some good fish. Pearson is always lurking around there as well and will through you a tid bit, which is like listening to a preacher give the Sunday morning sermon.

I know that Eagle lake is another popular lake for muskie men as well. I have only fished that lake once, and haven't been back since I feel in love with LOTW. It is a quality fishery and worth looking into as well.

I dont know if the summer is your only time to go, but I would really consider the late fall trolling bite. It can be really good and the fish are heavy. I also put a vote in for LOTW same area as Bret mentioned!! (Have a cabin not far from Frank's place!)