• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

CRP -- best place to sit?

We have a ton of choices on the farm, from in the woods, next to corn, food plot (worthless this year so far -- too many crops out)CRP etc

Anyone have a thought on best choices this season?

let me guess -- hard to pass up CRP? but to me it is either feast or famine in crp.

how much CRP? Last time I was in an area with woods next to fields and crp was in ND. The way we hunted that was hunting the woods and/or tree groves in the morning and then the late morinng/afternoons we would walk/stalk the CRP fields always had really good luck doing the walk/stalk the CRP. It's amazing how they hide in there...

If you are looking to sit by the CRP, if there is a corner or natural funnel between the fields, woods, and crp I would find an area there where you can have a good view of the activity

I hear you, is there any type of movement pattern that you have noticed in the past? I would maybe set up a few stands along the corners of adjacent sources and along possible travel paths, heck if you can find a spot along the CRP to put up a stand or 2 that might be a great late morning,afternoon, evening spot...IMHO

If your going to caught a big one out, i would sit on the crp in the am, and the pm. They like to get thier does out and away from everyone else. We hunt by a section bean field with several small ditches in it, and every given year there are nice bucks chasing and laying out in the middle of that field. Also, the crp by my stand is hot for bucks chasing does, right at first light is the best. Sit on the wide open crp between any willows/thickets. You should get results.

The reason I have trouble with this question is about five years ago, when nobody sat in this spot, the neighbors shot a 23-point buck (yes 23-point) buck from our CRP.

Also running out of there was a 12-point buck.

I have sat there occationally over the past couple of years without big results, Shot the occational doe and saw some smaller bucks. Maybe they were there and they just sniped past me.

Will the snow have any effect on this?

The little snow we get is no big deal, only shows tracks and little easier to see the deer. When the snow it deep in the crp then they tend to leave it, unless they have good food and cover. I am sticking with the sitting on that crp, does=bucks during the rifle season. The colder and quieter the better. I have to sit on a creekbottom this year due to work and I am on call, otherwise I would be out on the halfmile line watching the grass.