Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
slipbobbin

Fish House Heating Question

18 posts in this topic

I am just curious on how many guyz heat there fish houses using wood burning stoves and if it would be a good option in a 6 x 8 permanent. I have to replace the existing heater and was thinking about a wood burning stove.

I wouldnt go that route just because you cant maintain the temp very well. If you are interested in a propane one shoot me an email and I might be able to hook you up.

Good question. I've thought of this from time to time. I have a 6x8 also but I think a wood burner may take up too much room.

i was thinking of building a spear house and installing a wood burner in that just for kicks i guess or it would be another fish house

Also anyone know where i can get the Mr. Heater by Strikemaster i think???? (but they are the round Style 10-30 BTU) People have been sayin they dont make them anymore

Didnt know strikemaster even made a heater. Maybe it was before my time.

well i am not a 100% sure about that but its the Mr. Heater Circle style from 10 -30 btu

i was thinking of building a spear house and installing a wood burner in that just for kicks i guess or it would be another fish house

Also anyone know where i can get the Mr. Heater by Strikemaster i think???? (but they are the round Style 10-30 BTU) People have been sayin they dont make them anymore

I think the heater you are refering to is the Handi-Heater that was originally handled by Strikemaster. I have one of those in my fish house. When I wanted to change the control on it Strikemaster put me in contact with a guy in Wisconsin that was the one making them for S.M., can't remember his name though. Call S.M. and maybe they can put you in contact with him.

ya Handi-Heater sounds better!

SO does this guy still make them or what?

Hey Slipbobbin, I just posted two heaters for sale in the For Sale Ice Forum. Let me know if I can answer any questions for you.

Stikemaster Handi-Heaters are no longer available. They were made for strikemaster by a company in Wisc. called Timberwolf LLC and ranged in size from 10-30K BTU.

Nice little heaters and I wish they were still on the market.

Years ago my father and I would rent spearhouses on Leech Lake that were heated with wood. It was horrible. Hard to get going and burn too hot, too cold, or go out. They would give you a spray bottle of heating oil to get it going. By the end of the day everything reeked of fuel oil and there would be an oil slick on the hole. It would probably be a little better if you could get used to running one. But in my opinion certantly not worth it. One word: Propane

I have a 9 x 7 that I have heated with wood for years. The heater I use is made by Nu Way, they have a web site. The stove kit is $90. It was the only wooddtove I could find that was small enough. It works well. It is more difficult to regulate the heat with wood. Starting it is not a problem, no gas or fuel oil involved. I like the wood stove and would not switch, but it is more work than propane. If you do go propane make sure it is a high quality stove.

i have made 2 of my own woodstoves and they work well. if you dont maintain the fire well, then you do get varying heat output, but it has worked well for me. i only burn oak and other hardwoods because they burn longer - less stoking - and they also put out the most heat. im kinda old fashioned i guess, but there is something about having wood heat as compared to propane. it warms your bones, and propane just heats the air. ok, nostalgia overkill.....

I had a wood stove in one of my perms years ago. The novelty did not make up for the inconvenience. NuWay makes nice propane stoves that are vented to the outside. You can get the nice warm feel of a wood stove since the moisture from the propane is being vented out but don't have to be swetting one minute and then cold the next.