• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ill try to explain

1996 cavalier 2.2 liter. air conditioning pump was growling, so i buy a new belt to omit going around pump. now noticed when heater control is on defrost, cooling fan runs continously which wouldnt bother me but that rattles also.so i unplugged a sensor going into condenser.fan no longer runs when on defrost. my question will cooling fan still run if engine temp gets hot?

The cooling fan will normally run anytime the AC is on. The AC is commanded to be on when you use the defrost. Therefore, the cooling fan will come on when you use defrost. If you unplugged the sensor and it quit, it may not work when it gets hot either.

The fan relay is controlled by the PCM. The PCM looks at two inputs, coolant temp sensor and high pressure switch. If it sees the right conditions for either it will turn on the fan. If you eliminate the high pressure switch the PCM should still be able to see the coolant temp switch and command the fan on when the coolant temp reaches about 220 +/-.

If there is any doubt start it up, let it idle, and monitor the temp gauge. If the fan turns on before it overheats your fine if not then back to the drawing board!