Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mroyten

trailer bearing seal problem

9 posts in this topic

A while back I repacked by bearings and replaced the seals on my trailer. After the first time out noticed one of the inner bearing seals to be pushed out a little and stayed stationary as the wheel turned, while the other one didn't. Figured that wasn't good so went back in there and replaced that seal again, hoping that would solve the problem.

Not the case. Same thing, the seal is pushed out a little and stays put when I lift up the trailer and roll the wheel (with boat off the trailer).

I am certain that it was functioning normal before I packed the seals.

Very frustrated, don't know what to do next? Anyone have any ideas?

make sure it is the right size seal, you could always try a new hub to see if the hub might be the problem.

Do you have bearing buddies and did you push to much grease in them?

Is it the whole seal thats backing out of the hub or is it just the rubber ring?

I have bearing buddies but didn't overkill the amount of grease. And the whole seal is backing out.

I am thinking about replacing the hub, just hope same problem won't occur with new hub.

How did the seal fit when you put it in? A new hub may fix the problem. I'd re-pack the bearings, put some extra grease under the bearing buddy and not put any grease in through the bearing buddy and take it for a spin and see what the result is.

marine_man

If the buddy doesn't have a bra the spring will hang up from dirt. Any grease you push in will push on the seal.

Theres also a relieve valve that bleeds air out as you push grease in. If that isn't working you can build up pressure and pop out a seal.

I'd do as M&M said and press the seal back in. It should take considerable force to press it in. It could be possible that the seal was pressed in at an angle and has been distorted, in which case it won't stay in. Since you'll have the hub off inspect the seal first.

Wouldn't hurt to take the buddy off and clean it. Wait to push grease in till you find out if that was the problem.

Let us know how it goes.

Good Luck.

Ok, I'll repack the bearings (I don't need to repack them again do I?) and replace the seal again and not pump in any grease with the gun.

I do recall the seal being a pain to pound it in too, that's what's so odd. I'd place a block of wood over the seal and pound it in with a hammer. It seemed to get in there good but I remember the seal on occasion getting off balance, that could be the problem as well.

Any other methods of pounding in the seal without damaging it?

A press would be ideal but the wood block will do. Go a little at a time and check checking its alignment. It should go in a little easier the second time but not easy.

So, I put this problem off to the spring. Took off the hub again and examined the bearings, noticed corrosion and it that didn't spin correctly - that is the inner bearing next the seal that was giving me problems. Replaced bearings and now that seal isn't coming out anymore!