• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cigarettes or chew?

My buddy who smokes will chew on stand but if it was up to me you really should choose neither. Have you ever thought of trying Nicorite(sp) on the stand ? It helped me to quit and it will help suppress the cravings and you will not have to spit.

I think it comes down to where your hunting. If your hunting deer up north miles and miles away from anything. Your more than likely not going to get away with doing it. On the other hand. If your hunting deer closer to civilization(Wood stoves, burning leaves, and other human scents)you have a better chance at getting away with it.

I would love to say don't do either, but I went from chewing to smoking and have done both in my stand, now if I had/have to crave the urge I will chew. I am typically never in my stand more then 3 or 4 hours so in that amount of time I use sunflower seeds when I get the itch...

In my oppinion, and that is all it is, the only issue with smoking in your stand is the movement involved. Sure it is a foriegn odor, but it is not a "human" odor.

Back when I used to partake, I once had to put out a smoke to shoot a deer. I also know a guy who shot 3 deer in one day, all within 5 min of having a cigarette. (spaced out durring the day, 3 consecutive cigarette's)

The only smoking I do in the stand now is a "victory dance" cigar in that 35-45 min between taking the shot, and taking up the track. It helps me to stay in stand and not take up the track early.

I would not smoke in the stand. I have chewed, however.

But -- an neighbor who used to hunt with us (he passed away about 5 years ago) smoked and drank his entire life. He shot more deer than anyone -- drank all day and all night (seriously) and chain smoked in his stand. He also shot three in one morning not more than 50 yards from his stand.

Go figure -- never used scent cover or anything smelled like BO Booze and smokes ...

true story -- guy near Perham MN -- he was a heck of a guy

I have found that the guys I archery hunt with all shoot and see better bucks than I and thats during the years I smoked in the stand.

I have shot many deer while smoking in the stand as the wind was in my favor. The smarter deer will circle around you and will smell that smoke and be gone. No way will I ever smoke in a stand again after doing it for 30 years.

I want to see the larger bucks like they do.

I actually plan on using the deer season to quit smoking. I figure if I can make 10-12 hours a day without a smoke, I should be good to go. That being said though... I have always smoked in my stand, in ground blinds and just sitting on stumps stalking deer and I have never been skunked. The buck I shot last season came as I was smoking. I set the cigarette down just long enough to put the cross hairs on him and pull the trigger, smoke wafting up from it the whole time. He never knew I was there. I have to think that it decreases my chances, smoking that is, but it hasn't done so to the point of not getting a deer.

I would try to go as long as you can with out just for the fact that the more you smoke the more you have to move around, and the more likely you will cough later on when it primetime as the temp drops, but if you must make sure you have a bottle with a lid ans some water inside to put it out in. I shot a 8 pointer with a cig in my mouth at 10 yards because I didnt have the chance to put it out, and just a couple weeks ago I had a doe and a buck under my tree and the wind was not in my favor in fact it was opposite and a had set the cig on a limb next to me and the whole time the deer were around me the smoke was blowing all around me and them it may have been the best cover scent these deer were directly below me and downwind of me unfortanely I had no shooting lanes cleared on that side of the tree and the buck decided to push the doe away from me, also if you can hunt in cedars or pines I think you can get away with it better take the little berries on the cedars and rub them on your clothes and youll blend in real good

If you have to choose the one of the two evils. Go with smokinging. Deer are not afraid of smoke. Deer are like people they smell smoke they want to know where the fire is. I saw a whole deal on this in deer and deer hunting mag a few years ago. Where they interviewed a old timer from Georgia who smoked a pack in the stand every day and had over 300 pope and young bucks to show for it. Plus lets remember that the indians use to stand in the smoke of a fire to cover there own scent before a hunt. I know plenty of people who still do that and it works very well for them. I gave up both habits myself but if I had to choose it would be smoking.

I've had several spikes walk right up to me while I was smoking!! I think they we curious about it. Although I've never had a mature buck do that. I've also never had one get scared out of gun range while smoking. I will be smoking on stand this year, but I would say that if you can go without smoking while out there it would be better.

Ah the ever long battle with nicotine. I've been battling it for years. I think I am slowly kickin it. True test will be this coming weekend. I do find that Nicorette(sp) works well in the stand. Just make sure you keep the gum warm otherwise you will chip a chicklete smile

If you have to smoke try and play the wind. If you are downwind of a deer it doens't matter if you are soaked in gasoline they won't smell you. However you are putting out a lot of bad scent in the area so don't expect the deer to hang around for too long.

Might as well [PoorWordUsage] and pee out of your stand while your at it, but I have a cousin that smokes all the time in the tree usually and hardly ever saw deer and I told to try and suck it up and he has and this year alone he has passed up on 7 bucks within 25yds this year already.

FOOD FOR THOUGTHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have smoked in the stand and seen/shot deer for many years with no ill effects that I was aware of, but how many deer did I not see because of cigies?

I haven't had a smoke in 4 months now, so maybe I will see lots more deer or the ussual, I guess this will be the test grin

i dont smoke anymore but when i used to i killed many deer with a lit cig in my lips, i almost think there attracted to it, deer are very courious creatures and i have seen many deer come walking by looking just after lighting up

I've tried sitting without chew\smokes and it's pretty tough for me. I chew a tin of grizzly a day. This year I'm bringing a spitter (I sometimes just swallow it but that's impossible unless I have something to drink along with it), if they see me raising the spitter to my mouth, fine, at least I'll be on stand rather than walking back to the truck to get a much needed dip or smoke.

Though about also trying a nicotine patch. I wonder if my health insurance covers that sort of thing?