• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pheasant Mount

OK fellas I need some input. I am not a pheasant hunter by any stretch. I might get out once maayyybbbeeeee twice a year. I am a duck hunter and grouse first and second.

I went out last friday to a friends property and took a 3 hour walk. After getting up a couple of hens we finaaly got a shot at a rooster and down it went. Now the question I need answered.

Most pheasant that I have seen all have great color, that is not the issue. If one would think about mounting a pheasant based on color most would be mountable. What I have heard is it comes down to tail length. If I'm incorrect with that assumption please set me straight on that as well.

Now to the tail, the bird I shot had a tail length of 24". Is that pretty standard or is that the type of length that you would consider mounting?

Thanks for the input.

If the color is nice, it has big spurs and a nice tail feathers, go for it. Some of the larger or older rooster also have the ear tuff's very pronounced.

24" tail feathers are nice. Hopefully the bird is not shot up too bad as missing feathers are hard for the taxidermist to cover up.

To me it's the story behind the bird that's most important. The bird I have mounted is not the biggest I've shot, not the longest spurs, nor the longest tail. But has a fun story behind it.

If you want to put it on the wall then do it. Other people's standards of what should be mounted don't matter. It's your standards that matter.

Totally agree about the story behind the bird. Now a bird with a story and a badly busted up wing(s) and/or missing feathers - may have to be a story that I eat.

The bird I have on the wall has a story and as far as I could tell only a single pellet to the head. Essentially untouched. That is a part of the story behind it. Lucky shot that dropped it like a stone.

I have no idea what the tail feather measures. I wil have to check some day.

Thanks Fish, that is what I was looking to hear.

For me I want to mount a bird that would be consider a "trophy". To be a "trophy" it needs to have certain things, perfect color, certain attributes like tail fan or length, spur size, tail curls or in a fish a certain pound for a certain species.

We all have our reasons for mounting things. These would be some of those reasons for me to mount a bird or fish.

Thanks

I'm the opposite duckbuster. I have my first ever pheasant mounted. My dad got it mounted because of the memory, and it's a bird I'll never forget. By happen-chance it's one of the largest roosters I've ever shot...

I have mounted 5 ruffies over the years, all giants, with great fans and colors, but I've gotten rid of most, and am trying to sell my current birds as well. I shot a beauty this year with my son along, and it's going up, and it's the one that I've been waiting for. The large birds with great color are nice and all, but the memory is most important to me!

To each their own...

Matt, right on with YOUR thoughts. Everyone has their own reasons as to doing it.

My brother-in-law mounted a 4lb walleye his son caught at the age of 7. That same brother-in-law was going to mount that same sons first grouse. Instead I gave him the grouse I had mounted a few years earlier without his sons knowledge that it was not the same grouse. Did the son think that it wasn't the same bird no, and to this day it sits on his dresser in his room.

For me it is about certain levels of attributes I guess you could say.

I would have to agree that it would have to be the story behind it. I got lucky and the one i have mounted has a 25 inch tail feather but it is the 1st bird my bird dog flushed and retrieved for me. It was last year and she is my 1st bird dog i have trained myself.

Personally, tail feather length never really meant that much to me. I'm all about the fun of the hunt and the end result in the frying pan or crock pot.

I have 2 pheasants on the wall and it's all about the occasion in which they were shot. Just by luck, one of them has really nice dark colors and huge "Horns."

It's just my opinion, which, really isn't worth squat, but If you get a bird and want it mounted, go to taxidermy and get-er-done!!!

I would say there is a significant difference between hunted / harvested animals and fish. While it is true that smaller fish can be and are mounted for reasons such first fish, first of a species, rare species ....... However, with fish it is a lot easier to hold out (catch and release) for that "trophy" fish.

Once you have harvested an animal it is not being released. Sure you can let a buck walk, but flying birds - hard to tell. With a harvested animal, it is easier for me to decide to mount a "non-trophy" caliber animal since it is already dead. Personally, I see no need to hold out for trophies when it comes to bird mounts. If it looks good and is not shot up get it mounted IMO.

Gills, seeing that bird on the wall makes me question my decision not to mount the bird.

As I stated earlier, I don't do a whole lot of pheasant hunting to begin with. The bird was of good size and color. I regret putting it in the freezer now.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and input!!!

I can't even recall the prices. I am thinking in the $150 range, but it may be more these days.

You do not have to get it to the taxidermist right away. Do not gut it, keep it cool, wrap it some fashion (careful of the feathers) and then freeze it. There was a whole thread on how to properly freeze a bird with lots of differing opinions. The bird in the photo was shot in the Dakotas and not brought in for a few months.

duckbuster - you probably have several ducks on the wall. I wish I had more. I have one Canvasback that is it.

Today after 17 years of bird hunting I shot the one!!! Like others have said it is the stry not the size. The bird has a big body, it looks like a football with wings!!! It has 20.5" tail feather, but is big. I have hunted the spot that i got it in 3 other times this year and missed 3 nice roosters, well today in less than 45 minutes I had my 2 bird limit. Many birds and lots of awsome points from my Molly!!! It was by far the best pheasent hunting day i have ever had!!! It is only my dogs 2nd year and she was a beast today, working the grass and pointing perfectly!!! I new as soon as I got it from the dog it was going on the wall, it made the other rooster i shot look small!!! I am getting it mounted flying with a fence post behind it. The cost for those who were asking in the post is $165. I will post a pic when I get it back!!!

English Setter. She seems to be comming into her own now that the season is half over!!! Last year she was very good, but got off to a slow start this year, I think it was only because of all the corn in and the dry early weather. I try to get her out as much as possible but That is only once a week sometime 2 times a week, that could be the issue also, last year I was out 2-3 times a week. But hey I am happy with her, she hunts buy pure natural instinct, I have not done much trainning with her at all, so i will take what I get!!!

Thanks everyone!!!! Hey Matt, I have Rick doing it so i will get pics when it is done and bring them to work!!! I have pics on my cell, but you know i wont be bringing that into work!! Again thanks to all!!!