• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rifle vs Slug gun

I guess growing up being able to only use a slug gun you get used to it. I shot an 1100 for years then built an 870 for deer hunting. Both were about the same for kick IMO. I have shot about every caliber rifle out there. Growing up as a kid my uncle I lived with was a collector and dealer. Worst kicking round to me is a 270 in a Remington pump or my old S&W bolt also in 270, a round I will never own again. Currently I shoot a 300 Win Mag an Interarms Mak X and love it. Dad has a Savage 300 WM and its a mule. My 300 shoots a 180grn at just under 3200fps, in my 870 I shoot 3" Federal Barnes expanders and in the 1100 490 grn Brennekee 2 3/4 none of these bother me to bench shoot but throw a 3" turkey round in there thats gets your attention. For me I'll take my magnums for rifles and at close range timber hunting its tough to beat a good old slug gun. All makes in the same caliber do not have the same kick its all on the stock design and weight of the gun as how much recoils felt. My 1100 I can shoot 1 handed while Dads model 11-48 kicks like a mule even with bird rounds.

I was going to hunt with a dude in WI this year and use a buddies 30/06. Guy I was going to hunt with told me the 30 kicks way worse then my 870 w/3" slug. Everyone I talked to said different. Due to circumstances I wasn't able to make it to WI so I didn't shoot the 30/06, I'll be using my 870 this year in MN with a buddy. Got the 2 3/4" slugs this year.

I would say the 12 ga. also. In the '06 the difference between say 150 grain and 180 grain bullets is noticable. The new gel-type of "squishy" recoil pads help a bunch. Limbsaver and some other companies make them. One thing that I think makes the 12 ga. at least seem worse is the trigger. The shotgun triggers with the heavy pull and the creep sure don't make hepl. At least on the range.

I used to hunt with an 870 and just recently purchased a 7 mm Mag. I think that shooting magnum slugs out of the 12 ga kicked more than that 7 mm will, and the 7mm kicks. Although, nothing is worse than 3" turkey loads out of a super full choke.

As I was checking out the slug guns last weekend making sure they were sighted in, I made the comment that I sure wish I could shoot my rifle as that 12 ga slug kicks like a mule!

I never feel it when I'm hunting, but on the range it just plain hurts to shoot 12 gauge slugs!