• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spring Bobbers

Iambjm

I have been ice fishing for about 12 years now and I don't recall ever seeing one of these. I did a google for them and came up with many rods that come with them. My question is can I buy them to use on the rods I already have?

Yes, many stores sell them. Check the big box sporting goods stores and you will find them.

Jason Mitchell makes a rod called a meatstick with a very sensitive tip that works well for a lite bite. No spring bobber needed.

I also use a Thorne sweetheart with a spring bobber that is awesome.

As HL said, many stores have them. They are quite nice for the light bite. Actually, they're great for the light bite.

Having said that, I've noticed some of the spiral wound spring bobbers are difficult to use outside in the cold. They freeze up kinda quickly. I'm guessing this is why many rod makers have gone to building spring bobber rods with larger eyes to help with the freeze up problem.

If you fish mostly out of a perm or portable house with decent heat, the freeze up thing shouldn't be a problem for you.

Which is best? depends on you..

The best I have found is probably either Thorne Bros, or St. Croix. I think the spring bobber that Croix uses may be slightly better, but the rod is far better in the Thorne Bros...

I myself, dont use a spring bobber often, but use a rod that has a soft tip in much the same way.

I actually use the St. Croix spring bobber but have found ways to put it on other rods that I like better. I agree that the st. croix bobber is the best...but even the ultra-light rod is way too stiff for what I like.

I basically have glued the spring bobber onto a little clip thingy that then clips onto the tip of the better rod...and walla...best of both worlds. The clip is actually from one of the spring bobbers that you can buy separately and it hooks on the end. I take the one out, glue the st. croix one in...then clip it on. Works very well.

I can't remember who makes them but the spring bobbers I like best are the flat steel ones - they don't look like springs, they look like a piece of flat aluminum with an eye on the end. You tape them to the tip of your rod. The reason I like these is you can bend them up or down to adjust for the weight of your bait and for your jigging action ..... and the eye is big enough that they don't freeze up any worse than the guides on your rods. They only cost a couple bucks and are sold at many bait shops and gnaders, etc.

I did another search and did find the Frabill's. Next question, which one does everyone think is the best?

These are the ones that Boilerguy is refering to - they look like the inner spring of a ball point clicker pen. They ice up very badly out in the cold and are a pain to thread your line through. The Frabills are not universal - they only fit on rods with certain sized rod tip eyes (Larger eyes are typically a problem).

Craigum mentions HT Tech - they sell a variety of spring bobbers designed for putting on any rods. I have not personally used any of theirs (all mine are St. Croix Legends). If you go with any I would suggest the straight wire ones with the loop at the end. I think they are pretty inexpensive and should work on your existing rods.

The options Dietz mentions are spring bobbers designed explicitly to go with the rods from the same manuafacturer design for it. Not for generic use with any rod. These options are very good if you plan to buy a new rod that is designed with a spring bobber or available option.

If you find yourself watching your flasher, seeing the fish come up to your lure/hook and steeling your bait without you detecting it .... then you really MUST get a spring bobber or new rod that comes with one. You will see a big improvement in your fishing success especially later in the season targeting panfish. To see how it works, go to some of the big box stores - many of them will have video demo's of the St. Croix Legend spring bobber rod in action (Fleet Farm typically has them showing once the season hits full swing).

Just finished answering the same question about spring bobbers. The STX has the best spring bobber assembly. However I installed my own STX similar type assembly on my Berkley ice rods and Genz stick ice rods. Its a relatively easy procedure once you know how to do it.

Good Luck

Awsome link! I will definitely be using that process as the Legend spring bobbers look far and away superior over all others but I'm not a fan of the rods - especially for $50. I'll be putting them on my St. Crioux Premier rods that I fell in love with last spring.

The clip on that fishwater posted is the exact one that I use. I take the steel bobber out, glue the st. croix bobber on to the top of the clip...then clip it on to the tip of any rod I want. Best of both worlds. Best bobber...better rods (in my opinion). I am not trying to rag on st. croix rods...but the ones that come with the spring bobbers are not my favorite.

I also like my noodle rod. I have one i got probably 10-12 years ago that was my first ice fishing rod i ever had, and it is still my favorite. I also have an ice blues noodle rod, but it doesn't have the sensitivity old faithful has. I have had a couple battles with a noodle rod that were a lot of fun, a couple 16-18" eyes, and a couple 3-4 lb northerns. That is a blast with a noodle rod and 3 lb test.

Originally Posted By: PerchJerker
the flat steel ones - they don't look like springs

I believe those are HT enterprises. They make a couple different flat models and spring ones that stuff into the tip guide.

94053231b.jpg

Bingo! This is what I use, they are absolutely amazing and you can put it on whatever rod you chose. I like a rod with just a bit more back bone. best of all they are only a dollar or so.

I have used several different spring bobbers in the past and still use them on a few of my rods, but for my main panfishing rod, I have switched to an ultralight. The sensitivity of it rivals a spring bobber, without the hassle. Depends on how and what you fish for (I fish out of a heated Guide portable mainly now, so iceup isn't a problem). I pulled in a 34" pike on Upper Red last winter on my ultralight, took a good 20 minutes to get him in. It was a blast though!!!

I like the st.croix spring bobber rods when I can get them with the eyelets straight and the tip is glued on smirk. The previous version without the reel seat is the one I like but I do have a couple of the ones with a reel seat.