• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

sharing a gun

huntfish365

Does anchor point matter with a scope?

If the scope is on for a person, would it also be on for another?

I'm just trying to cut down on the amount of shooting that will have to be done. I would like to be confident that no adjustments should have to be made if I take my gal out for the second season.

I'm not a super experienced shooter. I sight my rifle in each year before season, but that is it. I guess I can't see anchor point making a difference because if you have the scope nice and clear and the crosshairs where they should be, I don't see a big problem.

It might be a good idea to get her to shoot it a few times to be comfortable and knowing what she is in for with recoil, sound, etc. Good luck.

Once the gun is sighted in with a scope you are golden PROVIDED you are sure that she uses the same ammo you do or did. If you follow this golden rule then you will be good to go, But I agree with the statement Coach made in regards to having her shoot it to get used to it especially the feel of the trigger.

I do not think it matters much unlike bows. I know that if I don't have y draw and anchor the same from shot to shot it makes a big difference in point of aim and point of impact. With a rifle I think is not a big deal because you yourself are not making motions to release the "bullet" from the "cradle" of sorts. The only thing that really might affect the accuracy as others have stated is trigger pull. I went to a neighbors range and he spotted me. While I shot he watched my trigger pull and noticed I was punching the trigger. He told me to pull slowly untill I had broke and hit the back wall of the triggers travel. It helped my groups tremendously. Now I have been a little spoiled to have a gun with no creep and a light trigger pull, I do not like shooting other peoples guns because I'm not used to it and nothing compares to mine. You might want to get a few snap caps (just a replica cartridge with a primer made of absorbant gel that you can practice trigger pull on).

Thanks guys, thats what I was thinking also. I will have her shoot it, and I will know exactly how her natural shooting abilities are since the gun is on. Shells will all be the same.

I actually now needed this info for myself on my 30-30. I was taking the scope caps off of my gun that I had just sighted in. As I was unscrewing the cap, I hear about 10 clicks. The cap grabbed somehow and it bummed me out. Lucky I have a buddy who is an excellent shot that is going to take care of it for me tomorrow.

I think getting those snap caps would be an excellent idea for sitting around and practicing trigger pull. Good idea.

Allow me to be the voice of desent...

I can sight in my fathers .308, get it to put 3 shots in a group that can be covered by a quarter, only to have him 10 inches low with the same gun, round, range, everything.

Oddly enough, he hits exactly and consistantly 1 inch high with my rifle.

I am a firm believer that you need to know your gun and shoot it before attempting a shot at game.

I disagree with anchor point NOT being important. Wanna find out why? Take your gun,pick out an object, close your eyes, throw it up to your shooting position and open your shooting eye. You should being looking straight thru the scope with a clear sight picture of that object with the X hairs close to it. If not then your scope is not positioned correctly in your rings, from to back wise or you are not hittin your cheek in the same spot everytime, which you should be. There is a eye relief adjustment to bring in a clear picture for your eye. Everyone's sight is not the same. Perhaps having her adjust that rear ring will correct any fuzzy view. But, I'm willin to say she is going to have to move her cheek on the stock to get a clear sight picture which is going to be affected by the stock lenght and her arm lenght which goes hand in hand with the anchor point of your cheek. Better spend some time at the range.

I think getting those snap caps would be an excellent idea for sitting around and practicing trigger pull. Good idea.

Better yet if you go shooting with a buddy have him load a snap cap into your mag. It will help with anticipating the shot and keep you from jerking the trigger. We incorperate them into our firing on range days.

huntfish365. Excellent point!!! When I am with a beginner at the range I will do that but, what I do is load or dummy load the rifle with only one shell in the mag between shoots. They never know if there is going to be a live round or not. Another thing I'll do if I see em flinching is to have them stand up and put the gun in the off hand position with an open bolt and empty mag for safety and tell em to watch over the scope and watch my hand. With an open hand I'll bring my arm up level; with the muzzle and hit the muzzle with my plam. After a few times I'll "pull my punch" and see what they do. Typically, they'll 'lean" into the punch. Lesson learned on "anticipating".

Better yet if you go shooting with a buddy have him load a snap cap into your mag. It will help with anticipating the shot and keep you from jerking the trigger. We incorperate them into our firing on range days.

AAHHHH the "failure drill" Tap, Rack, Bang!!! Or if your buddy sets you up back to back Tap, Rack, Click, Drop, Smack, Rack, Bang!!!

But for rifle shooting I like to use the snap caps for dry fire drills in the basement or the back yard. Pick a spot, breathing, tension to the trigger, with a supprise click. Don't let the cross hairs move original spot.

Good trigger time is the only way to become a better shooter.