Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
2thepointsetters

Grouse at last....

15 posts in this topic

To say the least I have had a rough grouse season this year. (no pun intended) The areas I had been running the dogs seemed to have really low numbers.(averaged about 2 grouse pointed every 5 hours)

That all changed today when I decided to hunt a different area that I heard had decent numbers. The longer than normal drive to the new hunting grounds payed off, I had 19 contacts in about 4 hours of hunting. It was really nice to see a good bird population. I ended up with 4 grouse, because I ran out of shells. (forgot the dry box with the ammo at home, at least I had the 9 left over in the vest)

The best part of the day was getting a grouse that was pointed and held by my 7 month old female setter Chili. She has had some nice points this fall but we have been unable to connect.

After deer season I will be chasing pheasants, so this may have been the last grouse trip.

IMG_0701.jpg

Nice job and good for you! I hear you about having a tough year. My slump of 2008 continues. I've seen plenty (I should say lots) of birds, just very, very poor shooting... but thats my own story. Job well done!

Well done! The one time I went grousing it was a fairly unproductive outing.

Well done! The one time I went grousing it was a fairly unproductive outing.

Thanks.... ( I may have to take back some of the stuff I said about hunting female dogs also )

Quote:
I may have to take back some of the stuff I said about hunting female dogs also

Don't worry about it. Differing opinions are part of what makes the world go around.

Funny, I'm hating my female shorthair right now... She's in the dog house, literally and figuratively...

Congrats on the birds, 4 is a great day!

Citori.. 2thepoint is out chasing roosters today...Lucky!.. Those dogs are both from Berg Brothers located near St. Cloud. We can put you in touch if you need to be...uplander

I'm not to the point where I'm ready to get one. I'm just trying to get some research done. Would be interested in contact info. though. Thanks very much

I'm not to the point where I'm ready to get one. I'm just trying to get some research done. Would be interested in contact info. though. Thanks very much

Scott Berg has a very nice HSOforum with a lot of info on it. (we are not allowed to post links on here) so send an email to northuplandhunter at yahoo dot com and I will get you his info

Lots of Berg Brothers dogs around...more than a few guys from this site have one. My female is sired by a Berg Brothers dog and I used one of their sires when my female had a litter. Very knowledgeable, dedicated dog guys.

Lots of Berg Brothers dogs around...more than a few guys from this site have one. My female is sired by a Berg Brothers dog and I used one of their sires when my female had a litter. Very knowledgeable, dedicated dog guys.

Setterguy, I think your going hunting with Uplander and I next Monday? I am really looking forward to running all the setters together. It should be be very interesting, but I do feel bad for the birds. wink