• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Jiffy auger spitting gas?

glendam

Took the auger out today and its spitting gas from the compression release valve when I pull it? Is this an easy fix or do I need to take it for repair at a shop? Were is a good place to take it in the SW metro?

With todays low grades of fuel if you leave it sitting in anything for any period of time a gum-up is almost a 100% bet, I have a new generator to prove that. My guess is some old nasty gas is laying in your float/bowl and flooding out the engine.

Where did you buy it?

Just about any respectable small engine shop shold be able to clean out the carb and varnished fuel for you.

I bought it at G.M. but I think it has to be at least 4 or 5 years ago. I did leave gas in it this year with good intentions to fire it up a couple of times, but you know how that goes. I guess its time for a tune up anyway.

glendam...

You mentioned that your auger is 4 or 5 years old, I am pretty sure that Tecumseh engines did not have the compression valve on at that time. They started using the compression valve only a couple of years ago, however I could be wrong.

You are not thinking of the vent on the gas cap? The compression valve will be yellow and located near the spark plug. You also did not mention if it is a 2hp or 3hp, only the 2hp have the compression valve.

If you can not find a local Tecumseh repair center using the 800 number let me know and I will assist you any way I can.

To locate the closest authorized Tecumseh Service Center for engine related service you can call the Tecumseh Service Center Dealer Locator Line at 800-558-5402

Replace the spark plug to be sure it is good to go. I upgrade my plugs to NGK plugs...great plugs.

You can try dumping out the old gas, add a good dose of Sea Foam, pump it through by pulling to start, (Remove plug wire first)...if it runs out..Kewl...you know it went in well that way. Now back out the metering screws and pay attention to how many 1/2 rotations it takes. Pull the cord a few more times and see if the Sea Foam will run out.

Reinstall the screws or screw at the same count as you removed it and let the juice sit in it overnight.

Now mix a new batch of Jiffy fuel/oil mix and add Sta Bil's new Blue formula to the mix (New Blue Sta Bil has extra carb cleaners plus new fuel stabilizerds designed to work better with ethanol blended fuels..darn good stuff), mix 1 gallon up only...that will run a long time.

Reinstall the plug wire and start it up if she is willing. If it is warm (inside a heated garage or stored inside) only use half choke, cold choke fully until she pops and than go half choke than shut the choke off as soon as she runs...if she dies...do back to 1/2 choke tell she warms up. Allow it to idle for 3 min after she starts, let the Sea Foam work itself out.

If you don't feel comfortable with this process I recommend taking it into a service center that has a dino needed to test it under full load. They can tweak it to purr like a Jiffy should. I think they charge something like $50 for a full tune up and Dino set ...well worth it to get it set properly under load. With a dino set tune up it will snort and roar like she should on your first trip out. Without the dino...setting it is guesswork.