Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Quetico

The Quetico Plan for Campaign reform

9 posts in this topic

Ok T. Boone Pickens has his plan for energy independents, so here's my plan for Campaign reform. The Quetico Plan

After a long campaign season we are all tired of the entire political process. We accomplished one thing for sure: we've turned off voters and young people to the entire process. We need to change the campaign process to improve the appeal to young people and moderate voters.

So here's the Quetico Plan

1. Campaign spending caps on all races. Sorry people no more billion dollar campaigns. The limits for each race are listed below. All additional donations will be transfered to reducing the national debt in the candidates name.

Presidential candidates: $10 million

Senate: $2.5 million

Congress: $1 million

2. Shorten the campaign season. Some says we need to be like England and limit to two weeks. Thats a bit much but far better than 1.5 years. Face it some candidates announced in March of last year. Not cool.

No one may announce their candidacy for any office more than 3 month prior to the elections. Primaries will be held 2 months prior to elections and national conventions will be held at the same time 1.5 months prior to the elections. This leaves us with a short 1.5 month campaign season.

3. Eliminate negative campaign ads. No more negative ads anywhere. Keep it to the issues and facts, nothing more. If your campaign launches negative ads, your campaign is over, you lose.

4. Eliminate all campaigning done organizations other than the candidate. All campaigning must be done through the candidates organization. Other organizations can endorse and fund raise for a candidate but nothing more. The candidates then will be forced to be accountable for all their ads. If a message isnt approved by the candidate, it does get released to the public.

5. Not less than 6 debates during the 1.5 month campaign season. These debates will be mandatory for all candidates, not just the 2 major parties. We need more 3rd and 4th party involvement.

6. Donations to political campaigns will no longer be tax deductible. Instead use the money to fund 3rd and 4th,5th ect party candidates.

7. Eliminate all the following types of campaigning:

1. Phone calls, who doesnt hate them?

2. Mailers, no more killing trees for your political advancement

3. Email, stop the spam

4. Door to door, dont you dare knock on anyone's door, leave people alone when they are at home

8. On weeks the candidates arent debating they will be required to hold town hall style meetings. Get otu and talk to the people your trying to convince to vote for you.

9. Ban the use of 30 minute infomercials.

10. Leave the candidates families out of the campaigns. Stop attacking a candidate because their kid smoked a joint last night.

11. All candidates political voting records, and criminal history will be published in all major newspapers and a designated HSOforum. Make their voting records more accessible to the public.

12. Term limits for Senate and Congress. We have term limits for president and governor but not Senate or Congress. Slap a 4 term limit on each.

13. If any candidate or party violates any of the above drastic actions will be taken as follows:

1. The candidate ends their campaign immediately.

2. The candidate is no longer eligible for any state or national elected office

3. The candidates remaining campaign funds will be donated to the 3rd, 4th or 5th ect candidates.

4. That party will be ban from the next election for that office.

5. The party will be fined $25 million

Now I'm sure there are items that got missed but thats the bulk of the Quetico Plan.

Lets go clean up politics.

I like a side of fries and 25million$ to go along with that fantasy smile

But if that plan were to be voted on..I would endorse it.

Quetico's Campaign reform has Loos15's support!

And when the donations start rolling in we'll make "I support the Quetico Plan" T-shirts. lol

That'a a lot of plannin'...

One thing I do agree on for sure is the negative TV ads. Maybe they should eliminate the TV ads all together, because you can't police it as a positive vs negative ad.

If I have to see one more commercial with 2-3 word quotes with dots before and dots after I'm gonna puke. They can take something totally out of context and spin it any way they want with 3 words. Not to pick on any candidate exclusively (most are guilty), but Coleman ran an ad with a quote from February of '99. Pretty clear a quote from '99 is not too relavent to today!

Personally, if they wanted to fund a 30 minute infomercial, at least I can change the channel.

All right…I’ll be the bad guy here.

Numbers 4,7, and 9 seem to pretty egregiously violate freedom of speech.

In number 8, you say you want the candidates out talking to the people trying to earn votes, but in number 7 you seem to not want that to be taking place…

In number three – eliminating ‘negative’ ads – the only question (as solbes just alluded to) is “who defines/determines what is negative?”.

Number 13…as enforced by who?

I don’t like a lot of the stuff that goes on either, but it is up to us as voters to educate ourselves (voting records are quite accessible) and to reject those candidates who engage in actions that we disagree with. And as these two major parties continue to act like spoiled brats, it just solidifies my decision to support a third-party candidate.

It is a good plan just needs tweeking.

make it 3 months so people can evaluate the candidates.

allow door knocking some people like to meet the local candidates face to face it is one of the few ways to get their message out

Awesome idea to make the debates mandatory, but 6 in 1.5 months with how many races lots of action to monitor. good idea though

I will add that we make the candidates limited to running only two unsuccesful campaigns in 10 years, some guys run for anything they can just to run and after awhile they are not taken seriously. Loose twice and you sit out.

I'm with Jarrod on this one. Lots & lots of violations of free speech in the Quetico plan.

I think it's important to note that free speech is most important to protect when it's speech we don't like or disagree with, which certainly seems to be the case here.

Ok T. Boone Pickens has his plan for energy independents, so here's my plan for Campaign reform. The Quetico Plan

After a long campaign season we are all tired of the entire political process. We accomplished one thing for sure: we've turned off voters and young people to the entire process. We need to change the campaign process to improve the appeal to young people and moderate voters.

So here's the Quetico Plan

1. Campaign spending caps on all races. Sorry people no more billion dollar campaigns. The limits for each race are listed below. All additional donations will be transfered to reducing the national debt in the candidates name.

Presidential candidates: $10 million

Senate: $2.5 million

Congress: $1 million The Senate is part of congress.

2. Shorten the campaign season. Some says we need to be like England and limit to two weeks. Thats a bit much but far better than 1.5 years. Face it some candidates announced in March of last year. Not cool.

No one may announce their candidacy for any office more than 3 month prior to the elections. Primaries will be held 2 months prior to elections and national conventions will be held at the same time 1.5 months prior to the elections. This leaves us with a short 1.5 month campaign season.

3. Eliminate negative campaign ads. No more negative ads anywhere. Keep it to the issues and facts, nothing more. If your campaign launches negative ads, your campaign is over, you lose. Define negative. Does it mean that a candidate can't point out any facts regarding his/her opponent's voting record or other antics? Would that also mean that a candidate can't rebut statements or claims made by his/her opponent?

4. Eliminate all campaigning done organizations other than the candidate. All campaigning must be done through the candidates organization. Other organizations can endorse and fund raise for a candidate but nothing more. The candidates then will be forced to be accountable for all their ads. If a message isnt approved by the candidate, it does get released to the public. So then, nobody would be able to speak in support of our candidate of choice? Pretty much destroys this site at election time.

5. Not less than 6 debates during the 1.5 month campaign season. These debates will be mandatory for all candidates, not just the 2 major parties. We need more 3rd and 4th party involvement.

6. Donations to political campaigns will no longer be tax deductible. Instead use the money to fund 3rd and 4th,5th ect party candidates.

7. Eliminate all the following types of campaigning:

1. Phone calls, who doesnt hate them?

2. Mailers, no more killing trees for your political advancement

3. Email, stop the spam

4. Door to door, dont you dare knock on anyone's door, leave people alone when they are at home So we eliminate all but a couple methods available to get our message to the voters? I say our because any one of us could decide to run for public office.

8. On weeks the candidates arent debating they will be required to hold town hall style meetings. Get otu and talk to the people your trying to convince to vote for you. So how do they talk personally with all 350 million people in 3 months or even just those from one state for that matter?

9. Ban the use of 30 minute infomercials.

10. Leave the candidates families out of the campaigns. Stop attacking a candidate because their kid smoked a joint last night.

11. All candidates political voting records, and criminal history will be published in all major newspapers and a designated HSOforum. Make their voting records more accessible to the public. Who will pay for this?

12. Term limits for Senate and Congress. We have term limits for president and governor but not Senate or Congress. Slap a 4 term limit on each.

13. If any candidate or party violates any of the above drastic actions will be taken as follows:

1. The candidate ends their campaign immediately.

2. The candidate is no longer eligible for any state or national elected office

3. The candidates remaining campaign funds will be donated to the 3rd, 4th or 5th ect candidates.

4. That party will be ban from the next election for that office.

5. The party will be fined $25 million

Now I'm sure there are items that got missed but thats the bulk of the Quetico Plan.

Lets go clean up politics.

This has its downfalls.

Bob