• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

? diagnostic tool-Car Pal and Blue trax

Has anyone ever came across this tech. before. Its a bluetooth diagnostic device that can be used with any bluetooth enabled p.c. From what I herd one can send and receive info from the engines' computer live. Theirs a tech @ my shop thats selling one of these devices. Seems pretty neat its small and compact but is very powerful. Plus one doesn't even have to be close to the vehicle to diagnose it.

I think it is nothing more than a glorified code reader. Its purpose more intended for vehicle management at a dealership rather than vehicle diagnostics. From what I can tell from there web site there is no live data. I think it would be way more economical from a tech point of view to spend $50 on a MAC code reader that I can plug in and have codes in less than 30 seconds. I can then decide whether or not I actually need a scan tool.

I guess in the faq's page it reads limited live data, essentially Global OBDII info.

OTC makes a new tool called the Pegasys that you can hook up wirelessly. I got a buddy that works for them and he hooked it up in the car and we scaned it from inside the house. I guess its the new version of the Genasys. The one he had was a Mac Tools version of the unit under another name, but the same OTC built unit.

It doesn't sound like thats the same thing but the wireless reader is out there. Kinda nice to have when the car is in the air or out in nasty weather.

There is a huge price gap between the two. The pegisys is a little over $5000. The Blue trax is much, much less but also has less capabilities. The Verus I have been checking into is th same idea as the Pegisys (full diagnostic scan tool, Wireless internet, Wireless reader, etc). It goes for a little over $8000.