• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Boat launching, winch Q?

slipperybob

So what is the preferred method for fiberglass boat launching?

I have a Ranger boat 617VS fisherman and a total newbie at boat ownership.

I'd always thought loosen the winch strap and give it like six inches first. I'm still leaving the boat attached to the strap. Anyway, I'm getting a lot of rubbing wear between the boat and the rubber guard, as the boat slides off of it when it floats. Am I doing it wrong?

Do you have a bunk trailer? If so, putting it back on the trailer is basically the same in reverse. It will take a few tries to figure out how deep to back the trailer in so that the boat will snug on the bunks. Once the boat is on the trailer, just give it a bump of throttle to center the boat and push it forward, then winch it up the last 6" or so. If you have to mash the throttle to push the boat on, your trailer was not deep enough. When you get the positioning of the trailer right you can just drive on, step out and winch a bit, then drive the truck away from the landing ramp. Quick and easy.

By rubber guard, i assume you mean the one on the bracket that the nose goes against? Is it a round style, or a "V" style ? Deitz is right. But with the rounder nose on a fishing series, compared to a bass boat which usually just butts up to the stop; you will get some of this since the nose of the boat rides up on it instead of against it. Check the roller and see if it is tight or can it turn a little. This will help some, but you will get some rubbing, but usually no damage to the hull. I have this on my 1990 680 too.

I always thought that rubber guard on the bracket would turn easily but only just a little, it's a "V" style one. I'm just afraid that if I loosen the nut on the bolt that things might fall off. It could be that low water levels is probably the main cause at the boat ramps for launching and the boat can't float enough to clear off the trailer.

I would agree with the low water being part of the problem. The "V" style shouldn't move much ! our boat should mainly just slide in to it . As said; i have an older fisherman series . With that style , it does roll up on the wheel some. As lomg as you are not damaging the hull, i would be to concerned .

LOL's

I did that only worse on the maiden voyage, when the wife keep hammering me with questions, "What are you doing now? Explain to me why you are doing this?"

It kind of starts with "you've missed the entrance, you're suppose to drive down it, why are you driving pass it"

Well, I need to back the boat down the ramp.

Then, "why did you stop, why are you loading things into the boat now, why did you loosen the strap, why are you tying a rope to the boat?...,..."

After explaining things, I plug the boat, forgot the transom saver, forgot the back straps...

boat half-floating trailer in water...