• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New hunter looking to practice shooting in Duluth, MN

uberamd

I am 20 years old, a computer guy, and never thought I would want to go hunting. Ever. However 2 weekends ago I went grouse hunting with a few friends of mine (I walked along), and all I can say is wow. We didn't get anything, but it was still a great time. I immediately started the online course for firearm safety, and this weekend I completed the course by taking the exam and field shooting test. I am now legal.

My dad is letting me use is Winchester 88 Special 308 rifle w/scope. Two of my friends were going to sight-in their rifles for deer hunting yesterday, so I went along to get a few practice shots off. We were at the 100 yard range, and they had no gun stands left so I had to use the sandbags (which wasn't fun with a lever action because I had to move the gun around so much). The first ~8 shots completely missed the target, the last few hit. It was my first time shooting the gun, so I had no idea how my dad had sighted it in before, and at what range. I couldn't tell where the shots were hitting because the backstop was a wood, or similar material and all the surrounding targets were full of existing holes.

Now, I want to go out and shoot again, maybe hone my skills at the 50 yard range then work my way out. I was told that it is illegal to go on public land to practice shooting, so does anyone know of good places in Duluth where someone can go to work on their rifle skills? Are there any gun clubs with ranges open to the public where I can just go with a box of bullets and get comfortable with the rifle?

If anyone knows of places, I would love to hear about it. Thanks in advance!

Glad to hear you're willing to take the time to shoot well. Too many people just grab the gun (or bow) and go straight to the field each year. frown

50 yards is definitely a good starting point, and probably all you'll need for hunting in the woods. With so little time left to practice, just get comfortable at 50, stick to that range during the hunt and position yourself accordingly to have deer at that range.

Just remember, in the woods, make sure of your target and what's behind it.

Good luck. smile

Welcome to the obsession, this board has a ton of knowledge and experienced fisherfolks and hunters. Glad to hear you are taking the safety training and doing some shooting to hone your skills. Like others have already said, 50 yards is perfect to sight in for the hunting you will be doing, most deer are shot in that general range. Get familiar with your gun, get comfortable with how it shoots and stick to shots that you have confidence in. Welcome to the great outdoors and good luck with your hunting!

Tunrevir~

Thanks for the support everyone, a true example of Minnesota Nice smile

Some people I was talking to didn't really think it was worth my time to go practice shooting, however I just want to be comfortable with the gun (like you all said). I have shot a few 22's, and a shotgun so this is my first time shooting anything bigger (in this case my 308). Its a whole different game. Not to mention its been just over 2 weeks since I shot a gun for the first time, so practice is something I definitely need.

Some people I was talking to didn't really think it was worth my time to go practice shooting

Don't listen to them, you can never have too much practice, especially since you are new. Have a great time. Are you hunting in the Duluth area?

Originally Posted By: uberamd
Some people I was talking to didn't really think it was worth my time to go practice shooting

Don't listen to them, you can never have too much practice, especially since you are new. Have a great time. Are you hunting in the Duluth area?

I probably won't be hunting in the Duluth area. I went up Rice Lake Road a few weeks ago for grouse but that was before I had a gun I was just walking along.

I am hopefully going to go to a buddies house one of these weekends for my first hunting trip. As of right now, I am trying to contact some ranges around the Duluth area.

Go to the United Northern Sportsman on HWY 4, its open to non memebers for a 5 spot, someone will help you if you'd like, the guys that hang there can shoot... so I'd let them help.

Good Luck

Welcome to the world of hunting

Go to the United Northern Sportsman on HWY 4, its open to non memebers for a 5 spot, someone will help you if you'd like, the guys that hang there can shoot... so I'd let them help.

Good Luck

Welcome to the world of hunting

I went there on Tuesday and shot a box. I worked from 25 and 50, next time I will be going from 50-100.

The people at the range were very friendly, it was nice. The fact that you could tape your targets was great too, the first range I went too was bad because you couldn't tell which holes were yours.

I will definitely be going there again. Is it open to the public for $5 all the time or only during sight-in times?