• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lucky Buck III

96trigger

I had an encounter with this guy tonight, I've been after him all fall. The pic doesn't do him justice, he is a perfect 10, with probably a 20 inch spread, he would go in the 150's pretty easily.

10pt.jpg

At 5:00 he was in an alfalfa field straight out from me. There was a very small section of cornfield between the woods I was in and the hayfield. I grunted and nothing, grunted again and nothing, finally I really hit the grunt hard, got his attention. Hit the true talker again and nothing. Finally I hit the lohmans strap on grunt that was on my wrist, and he started heading my way. He jumped into the cornfield where it got larger, (its kind of a horseshoe, and I am on one of the ends). Finally he pops back out, I keep hitting that little lohman call, and he keeps coming. He is on the other side of the corn field now probably only 20 yards away, but he is behind the corn and I have no shot. He gets to a part in the corn field 20 30 yards behind me where there is a trail that the deer have worn down through the field. He comes through, turns, and starts heading towards me. He is going to come by at about 10 yards. He gets about 5 yards from my treestand, I am already at full draw and waiting, and waiting, he doesn't come, I peek at him and he is staring right up at me. He wasn't going to come any farther. He turned and went right back to where he came from. I will be moving that stand tomorrow over my lunch hour, He won't go anywhere near that one anymore in the next 5 days. DANG. So close, yet so far away.

By the way, I learned something tonight. I was going to cut a shooting lane where he stopped but never did. I have now learned that my best shot at him would have been while he slowly sauntered away from me or while he was at a licking branch before he got to me, it would have been an easy 15 yard shot. I might be talking smart right now, instead of learning experience had I done that. Too often I'm waiting for the perfect shot as he walks by, I've noticed the deer don't like that big blob in the tree, but If I can have an alternate lane, that would have made a huge difference. Oh well, live and learn.

I like all these lucky buck stories now smile Nice one for sure.

I've been there, done that with the not trimming enough too many times before. Nowdays when I'm putting up a new stand I try to do it during the summer so I can trim as much as I want so I'm not changing the landscape of the area near or during season.

That said I put up a new stand just about a week ago because I got permission to hunt some new property. A very nice 8 ptr walked behind me through at about 35 yrds yesterday. I actually got him to stop in the one only small area I had a shot but passed. After getting out of my stand that morning I broke a few more branches because I don't want to miss an opporturnity if Bullwinkle walks that same route.

Hey Tippman,

You're "DUE" for your annual big buck!? Quite sending game camera pictures and provide one with buck and yourself together...lol Now that you have aquired new property with better gentics we are holding you to higher standards of bucks, nothing under 12pts and 250lbs...

later,

mr

Hey Tippman,

You're "DUE" for your annual big buck!? Quite sending game camera pictures and provide one with buck and yourself together...lol Now that you have aquired new property with better gentics we are holding you to higher standards of bucks, nothing under 12pts and 250lbs...

later,

mr

Gotta wait, too warm for hanging... grin

Holy [PoorWordUsage] it is warm, just got done moving that stand. Hopefully I can sit in it tomorrow. It was warm last night, I was way overdressed. I'll no better tonight. I'm going to sit in a different stand tonight, and try and hit that one up tomorrow. I hope I didn't spook him too bad, this time, I'll be ready. If only I could have stayed sitting, I don't think he would have busted me, but then, I couldn't see if he was coming on my right or my left.