• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Snow and deer movement

Just checked the forecast for the hunting area and it is supposed to snow a few of the days. My question is will the deer continue to move during the snow or will they hunker down and sit tight until after the snow stops falling? THe forecast says snow showers, so I am assuming that it won't be an intense storm.

Like others have said, it depends on the amount of snow and how windy it gets as the front passes through. Right before and right after it snows or rains heavily the deer will be up to feed and food sources can be a great spot to sit. I like hunting with a light coating of snow as it makes it really easy to spot movement in the heavy brushy areas.

Tunrevier~

I love deer hunting in the snow! Deer can be seen further away as long as there is snow on the ground and if its not coming down like the mega strorm then they should move just the same if not better since it is cool enough not impede movement unlike todays 70 degree forcast. I shot my first deer in sleet/snow. Something magical about the woods when snow is falling.

I think everything about deer hunting just seems a little better with temps in the 20's and some snow.

To me it seems like the deer move more, they are certainly easier to see and you're right there is something a little magical with some snow flakes falling. You get back to the shack and the coffee tastes a little warmer, the stories seem a little better and it makes deer hunting a lot more fun.

In all my time hunting when it snow or when there is snow. The deer will still move but just later in the day then normal. If its really cold then they will move sometime in the afternoon.

If its a blizard, they will not move unless they are spooked. I've notice that deer will not move around when there site or noise isn't working to there adventage.