• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Shoot -thru Transducers

PDOGG

Question

I am looking to maybe install a transducer for a flasher(vex) permanatly in my glass boat. What is everyone's thoughts on the shoot-thru transducer's? It seems like a good idea but do you loose alot of reception? I like to vertical jig over the edge of the boat and use it to pick up the lure and the fish. Or am I just better off mounting it on the transom with the other 1?

5 answers to this question

I use the through the hull ducer system, also in for a Vexilar mount.

I really like the dependable signal I get at all speeds and at rest. I can use it for vertical jigging in most situations if my jig is presented properly.

A puck ducer will work in a glass boat (Same as used to add to a externam trolling motor mount) but a Vexilar Alumaduscer is a better option. This kit is a TK kit complete with the wiring and epoxy needed to install a Vexilar flasher, be sure to get the kit with the aproprate power cord for the unit you have.

The Vexilar Alumaducer kit is especially designed for through the hull use and offers a even cleaner reading if installed as directed. The universal kit will adapt to almost any 200 KHZ sonar via the Min Kota trolling motor adapter. So if you opt to switch your unit to a Lowrance, Garmin, Humminbird, ect... with a 200 KHZ capability, all you need is a $20 adapter and you set to go.

A very good flexible use system.

You can also add a splitter latter on if you wish. Than you could run a second ducer, or head unit, depending on what splitter you use, to operate either from one position such as the bow.

Simply flick the switch and read the front or the rear of the boat. Again, a nifty option for jigging or live bait rigging and works great with the Alumaducer or a Universal Min Kota trolling motor or stap on ducer sonar installations.

PDOGG

I have transducers mounted to my transom and glassed into my hull, both for Lowrance graphs. I use the external transom mount one 99% of the time.

I never lose my bottom reading at any speed with the transom mount transducer, and it gives a better reading ----- that's why I almost never use the glassed-in transducer any more. I've tried to use them both at the same time but if the water is deep enough they interfer with each other.

I have used the glassed-in one enough to know that it works well. It definately loses some sensitivity and therefore draws a cleaner picture, but if you want to get all the detail back you can bump up the sensitivity setting.

If you're looking to use a vex to pick up a jig I think you'd be fine with an shoot-thru-hull mount, since it's so easy to adjust the gain on the vex and turn it up to whereever you'd need it.

The key for a shoot-thru-mount is making sure you get a good mount --- sand off the inside coating of your fiberglass to get to the clearest glass possible, and make sure you don't get air bubbles in your mount (insert one side of the transducer into the epoxy first then slowly roll or press in the other side, and don't wiggle it). You'll also need to make sure the cone angle will hit where you're jigging at, so make sure it's pointing straight down or slightly to the side you fish on, otherwise your jig will be outside your cone angle and you'll be SOL for marking it.

I guess it depends.. I have a shoot though on my boat. And can read 100 feet of water at 60 MPH.. if done right, I dont think you loose all that much sensitivity.. But then again, I dont verticle jig all that much. .and when I do I bring my ice fishing unit and hang the ducer over the edge of the boat where I am fishing.

Thanks for the response's guys. The more I think about it I don't know if I could reach the hull in a good spot to put the thing so I will probably just stick to tossing the ice ducer over the side like I have been doing or getting the cord to go to my bowmount.

Your going to loose a little sensitivity. Easy to just turn the gain up. Whats more important is could lose a little definition.

Some situations where a thru-hull ducer is the best application. River boats, the transducer is protected. Boats that stay in the water. That fouling on the ducer will take its toll. Of coarse the bottom of the boat will become fouled but you can clean it without damaging the ducer.