Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JohnMickish

Shimano Calcutta help, what model is this?

13 posts in this topic

I have a broken Calcatta 200 and can no longer tell which model 200 this is. The pin at the bottom of the level wind has broken off and Shimano has stopped working on the CT200. Is this a Ct or something else. I've had this reel for about 10 years now and it's been flawless up till now and I'd hate to have to get rid of it.

Thanks in advance.

Insurancephotos049.jpg

Insurancephotos050.jpg

Insurancephotos051.jpg

Insurancephotos048.jpg

Sorry I cant help you, I'll send a few e-mails to a few of the people who may know and see what I can find out.

Well, that was quick.. One of my Shimano Bosses already back with an email. Its the first CT200...

You will be surprised if you look around for parts. I can try to help you locate the right parts. I'll take a look for schematics and whatnot later this afternoon when I get home from work. Calcuttas are very popular reels and some companies even made aftermarket parts.

OK, got a second e-mail from a second guy from inside, and said its a straight up 200 not the CT.. but he said that if anybody could fix it or would have the parts it would be Tim @ Wayzata Bait...

Thanks Deitz.

This is an excelent reel and I'd hate to lose her. If anybody is thinking of a great reel that will cast a million (?) miles of line, don't be afraid of the Calcutta's price. These things rock. Smooth as butter, tough as nails.

Glad to be able to help.. I am on the shimano pro staff and have a few strings to pull, if I can help, feel free to email me.

deitz.dittrich@gmail.com

They are a great reel, I have a few of the newer chronarchs, have not been disapointed yet.

If you have any problems getting it fixed, please email me.

Ok Deitz, as long as I've got you, whats the (besides the obvious, size) difference between a round baitcaster and a low profile baitcaster? Does one have any advantage over the other?

mnfishinguy,

Here are the part numbers you need.

BNT0042 - Line Guide Pawl

BNT0060 - Spacer (optional)

BNT1239 - Pawl Cap

All the parts together would probably cost you less than 10 bucks, plus the shipping charge. The Line Guide Pawl is the part you are describing that is broken, and the spacer and Pawl Cap on your reel are probably okay if you took them off before the pic was shot, but replacing the entire assembly when they are cheap parts is probably good insurance. It would take you all of 5 minutes tops to do the change yourself, just need a flat head screw driver.

The picture you show first, looks like the pawl, spacer, and pawl cap are all missing. Not 100% on that but that is how it appears in the pic.

Give Shimano customer service a call, all of those parts are available as they are still used on reels they produce today. The pawl (BNT0042) is used on every single baitcasting reel with a levelwind. Caps are different base on the quality of the reel.

Ok Deitz, as long as I've got you, whats the (besides the obvious, size) difference between a round baitcaster and a low profile baitcaster? Does one have any advantage over the other?

I would say the biggest advantage of round baitcasters is usually line capacity. Round Reels will usually hold more line.

Low profile have an advantage on weight, and comfort.

Hope this answers your question.

Thanks again guys. The Shimano HSOforum is nice that they show you the blow ups and have part numbers for you, plus they rebuild the reels for you too, if you want to go that route.

Polar, yes, it's missing. When it broke the plastic piece that holds it ll together just kind of crumbled in my hand.

Deitz, that answers it. I need to upgrade about a half dozen baitcasters and was wondering about the low profile ones. I have 4 Ambasadours (sp?) and the one Calcutta and was just wondering if/what the advantage to a low profile reel was. I used a friends low profile midrange price ($200) Quantum this summer and loved how well it casted but I've turned into a Shimano guy (other than the four musky Abu reels it's all Shimano spinning reels for me) so I don't think I'll go down that road.

Yeah, mnfishinguy, order up those parts from Shimano and all you need is a flat head screw driver and about 5 minutes time.

MNfish-IF I can help at all in your decision to buy new reels, feel free to ask. OR feel free to e-mail me, my addy is in my signature, just add the dotcom behind it.