• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Comparison to last year?

Although I have not been out near as much as last year at this time, I hate to admit that the bird numbers are down in my area. I was out tonight for a hour walk right before sunset. Did not move a hen and did not even hear a rooster. Wondering what others think? Corn is coming out at a fast pace in my neck of the woods. Thought it would make a bigger difference than it has. Do have a trip planned to the SW part of the state later in the week,looking forward to that. Buddy tells me the birds are about the same as last year.

I've been kind of waiting for some of the corn to come out before making an opinion but now that a lot of it has I would say we are definitely down in my area in the far southwest. There are still plenty of birds but definitely down from last year.

It's been terrible where I hunt but there is still a fair amount of corn up yet. Maybe the picture will change in a couple weeks after deer season is over but I'm not real optimistic. Might have to start hitting different areas that I haven't hunted for years.

I'm seeing about the same numbers where I usually hunt. I did hunt a little further west over the weekend and got into a few more roosters than I usually see. I managed to knock a few down , the pup had a some really nice points. Real nice mature birds. If the one would have had slightly longer tail feathers I'd have got him mounted.

With still quite a bit of standing corn, I think our numbers in Extreme SW Mn are very similar if not maybe a slight decline in numbers. The reason I say this is with the extrememly wet spring. I have seen many very very young birds so far this season, leading me to think that there were many more late nests that I initially thought, meaning smaller broods, and less of a survival rate in later season, which are classical traits by study. But our numbers are still very, very respectable. And as stated, late season is going to be awesome.

Well I never got out last year bc I didn't have a dog at that time, so nothing to compare to. All I know is I have been out twice and haven't seen much. I have been in the central part of the state though and have yet to try the SW, which I hear is a lot better. I grew up hunting ND so am a little spoiled. I was out there last week for 4 days and must of seen at least 1000 birds along with tons of grouse and huns. It is definitely the best year I have seen in ND. I think I will stick to the grouse here until the corn comes out, have been having real good luck finding them up by Mille Lacs.

There are millions of birds here. More than I have ever seen and more than I expected to see, especially with so much corn standing still along with all of the other cover. I am planning on slaughtering them in December.

across the state their ARE less birds this year, due to the terrible breeding season. however, because of the great hatches the previous couple of years, there are still a ton of birds out. i went out yesterday but it was anticlimatic. i shot my two birds on a fenceline walking to the CRP within 15 minutes. i still worked my dog for awhile. in an hour i bet i saw 50 pheasants at least

I dunno, I 'm still picking corn and there is alot of birds out there. they just fly from field to field so every field we pick we see more and more. I'm not sure statistically speaking, but I think in the next few weeks we will see a temporary boom in the population (until I get out there) ah! who am I kidding? No I think it will be good yet.

After sitting out deer hunting this year I can say that in my area the pheastants are less then last year I would hate to say it but maybe 1/2 of last years. I will give a better description after next weekend deer hunting. I think the cool wet spring was hard on the pheasant hatch.

My farm in SW MN has more birds than last year, based on my hunt last weekend. The fact that corn was in and fewer birds where taken on the opener left more for last weekend, but I think there is more in general.

We shot 25 birds last weekend for 5 guys with many of the roosters being young of the year with no tail and little adult plumage. These were late hatch birds and we passed on many that couldn't be identified in the field. Hans

At first I thought there were plenty of birds, but they were just in the corn.Well now I think this year is really low compared to the last couple now that corn is coming out.. Today we had 5 dogs and 4 guys and saw less than 20 birds. I am used to seeing 50 to 200 or more birds per day.

Well I didn't hunt last year, but all I know is that I have been to the south-central area of the state 4 times now and haven't seen much. Maybe 6 or so birds each time. I don't want to even think about how many miles I have walked per bird. I grew up in ND hunting and didn't think MN would compare to ND but didn't expect to see this few. Regardless I will be out a few more times to try to get my young shorthair on some more birds. I was debating whether to make another trip back to ND, but definitely will now. Must of put her on a few hundred birds when I was back there a few weeks ago. If it wasn't for deer hunting I would be back to chasing grouse.

I don't want to even think about how many miles I have walked per bird.

This IS Minnesota pheasant hunting, I expect to walk miles per bird. I hate to put it this way, but 'I remember' back in the early 80's, I was in college, I'd come home and hunt all day and be lucky to see a pheasant!!

Theres pheasants to be had out there if you put in the miles. Maybe not as good as last year but there are birds. And with the late corn harvest, the late season hunting will be pretty darn good.

Thats my prediction and I'm sticking to it!

I hope you are right. Regardless I am heading out tomorrow again and trying to hunt further south near the Iowa border to see how that is. I Figure I would rather drive another hour if it increases my odds of seeing birds, though not sure if that is a realistic expectation or not.

Went a little more south and west. Probably put up 15-20 birds. So definitely saw more birds down there. My friend had 3 nice shots but wasn't able to connect, thats why its called hunting!