• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

$5 Walleye Stamp

robbo17

Now that the DNR has introduced the new $5 Walleye stamp, what does that mean?

Are we going to need to purchase the Stamp in order to keep Walleyes.

Don't know much about it, just heard the winning artist was announced and that it was going to be a $5 Stamp.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't imagine this ever being mandatory.

Stay tuned.

I imagine that within 10 years we'll hear:

Not enough people are buying the voluntary stamp to make it profitable after covering the costs of producing it so it's either going to be:

1. the voluntary stamp will be discontiued

or

2. the stamp will become mandatory

right now I'd give it a 50/50 chance either way.

Like everything, costs for everything is going up. We have more people fishing now than ever, or so it seems. I am fine with it, and even though do not fish walleye all that much. i will probably buy the stamp this year. Heck, there is a trout stamp, why not a walleye? Any fish that needs stocking of some sort maybe should have a stamp?

Originally Posted By: fishingfrenzy

Stay tuned.

Not enough people are buying the voluntary stamp to make it profitable after covering the costs of producing it so it's either going to be:

or

You may be right on either of those, though I still can't ever imagine it being mandatory. There would be strong opposition from the people that don't walleye fish, and I think the fear of upsetting those people would be stronger than the need to make it mandatory. Raise the cost of the license itself? Sure, I can see that, but as for a stamp being mandatory..I don't think that will happen.

Okay, so I fish walleye, and trout. So a stamp for both. Along with buying the lic, trout stamp,walleye stamp, maybe we should have a panfish stamp, bull head stamp, northern stamp, bass stamp, and you should also have to buy duplicates for family!

Sorry to rant, but come on.

I buy pheasant and trout stamp, even though I haven't even fished for trout or hunted pheasant in the last "many" years. When it goes for the specific species or land for it, I am all for it. Look what duck stamps have done for buying land and making it public use / hunting use.

I don't mind a walleye stamp, I will buy it, it goes towards what I love and want improved or at least not forgot about.

I agree, but at the same time, what does a fishing lic. do if not give you the right to fish. If trout are not covered under the lic, and maybe walleye soon, basically a fishing lic allows use to catch sunfish? what is next. Maybe ontop of the boat tags we should have to buy lake permits to use our boats on?

I agree, but at the same time, what does a fishing lic. do if not give you the right to fish. If trout are not covered under the lic, and maybe walleye soon, basically a fishing lic allows use to catch sunfish? what is next. Maybe ontop of the boat tags we should have to buy lake permits to use our boats on?

Walleye will never be in the same class as trout in Minnesota. Such a small amount of anglers target trout compared to walleye, it's like comparing apples to oranges. It's a simple matter in this case, if you agree with it, buy the stamp. If you don't, don't buy it.

Davesfriend,

First its voluntary. Which I think it will stay unlike a a trout stamp that you need to buy. Second you can catch bass muskies, northerns, and crappies, sunfish, bull heads, carp and suckers and many others and as a bonus you can still fish walleyes without buying the stamp. I think this will be a good thing for the enviroment and walleye stocking program. I know I will be buying the stamp regardless if vol. or man.

I am soory for the rant, I actually probably will buy it too. Espicially if it helps. I would like to see how it would help. But that is up to the DNR. I trust they will do what is right with the money. It just kinda seems with all the money on taxes, stamp this and permit that, we should be able to have it allready taken care of.

What was the cause of the Boston Tea Party, some 250 years ago? That's right, a STAMP TAX protest. Looks like history really does repeat itself. Now we are having people buy stamps for just about anything. I myself am stamped out with a Federal duck stamp, state duck stamp, pheasant stamp, trout stamp, State Park stamp. Sooner or later I'll run out of money and won't be able to enjoy the outdoors anymore. Pretty soon I can sell my boat and guns and take up racing again!

Originally Posted By: Desperado
Originally Posted By: fishingfrenzy

Stay tuned.

or

You may be right on either of those, though I still can't ever imagine it being mandatory. There would be strong opposition from the people that don't walleye fish, and I think the fear of upsetting those people would be stronger than the need to make it mandatory. Raise the cost of the license itself? Sure, I can see that, but as for a stamp being mandatory..I don't think that will happen.

Why would there be a strong opposition from those who don't walleye fish? Even if this would ever be a mandatory stamp it would only be mandatory if you want to fish walleyes. Just like the trout stamp, you only buy it if you want to fish trout.

What was the cause of the Boston Tea Party, some 250 years ago? That's right, a STAMP TAX protest. Looks like history really does repeat itself. Now we are having people buy stamps for just about anything. I myself am stamped out with a Federal duck stamp, state duck stamp, pheasant stamp, trout stamp, State Park stamp. Sooner or later I'll run out of money and won't be able to enjoy the outdoors anymore. Pretty soon I can sell my boat and guns and take up racing again!

It's only repeating if that money is sent over to England. I'm not a history major, but I recall something about taxation without representation.

How much do you pay a year in stamps? It may seem like a lot but look what you have at your disposal because of these stamps. If it were not for the stamps you would either not have the ability to do any of these things or we would all have to pay higher taxes in order to fund these programs. The public hunting land does not get bought without some of this money. Soon walleyes will probably not be able to be stocked, at least not as many as are currently stocked without this stamp money.

I still think that hunting and fishing is one of the cheapest sports you can participate in. Buy a golf membership and that only entitles you to golf 1 course for the year and you will pay hundreds of dollars if not thousands. Buy one fishing license for a fraction of that and you have fishing opportunities all over the state all year long day or night to enjoy.

Not to mention what it costs to sponsor and fund a race team!