• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I have heard of crop circles but not sand cricles?

Hester

I was out fishing last weekend and when I got up to the shallows where it is sandy I noticed a bunch of these pot holes in about 1-2 feet of water. They are from 1-2 feet wide by about 8 inches deep. Just wondering what you guys think they could be from. There were a couple hundred of them in about a 50 yard stretch. They can't be beds this time of the year, could they? The things that popped into my head that it could be from are turtles, coots(just because there are tons of them on this lake and I blame everything on coots or cormorants) or of course aliens(haha).

Here is a picture I took to give you guys an idea of what they looked like.

Photo-0109.jpg

Hester

I thought they were beds also but the sand is so soft that I would think that a strong wind would cover them up.

And they are perfectly round, I'm sure they are just beds but it was just weird to see, the picture does not do it justice.

It is pretty cool when you find an area full of beds. I love finding them when the fish are there and just sitting there watching the interaction of all of them. It is insane how many fish will pile in an area.

Usually the beds will remain year after year and be cleaned out and even reused. The ones that are shallower than the typical ice depth are rebuilt each spring. At least that is what I have witnessed over the years of fishing. This spring/summer was a weird one for spawning fish, everything was delayed quite a bit.