• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

No start on 1996 suburban.

I have a 1996 suburban 350 4 wheel drive "R" that fails to start. If I cycle the key/fuel pump several times it still doesn't start, but can hear pump running. When I spray starting fluid thru intake it fires right up and runs. 157,000 miles and fuel pressure regulator was replaced about 50-100 miles ago, I replaced regulator because I thought it might be the problem. Anyone out there have any ideas? Fuel pressure will be tested this evening or sometime tomorrow. I also have purchased a new fuel pump but have not installed yet. No codes stored in computer.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Bryan

The spec is 60-66 psi. I would like to see at least 58 psi. The reason you need the high pressure is because the poppets (the mechanical injector that sprays the fuel onto the back of the intake valve) only open at a certain psi and higher. If its to low the poppets will never open.

I've seen and heard of it more times than I can remember. The only thing I can figure is that once its started there is vacuum in the intake. Since the difference in pressure is greater, it requires less fuel pressure to operate the poppets after the vehicle is running. What do you think 4WE?

I guess I dont know why, but I do know that 51 psi is to low and I know if it isnt atleast 57-58 psi they dont start. Your theory sounds good with the poppets, but I dont know. I could ask someone tomorrow, if I remember to.

Not to beat a dead horse here, but when where you testing the fuel pressure?

Key on/eng. off, while cranking eng. over or after started with starting fluid and eng. at idle?

Maybe fuel pressure was fine after started???? Fuel pumps that are weak, do funny thing.

Air's idea I would say sounded the best grin

Ok, to start the engine it needs a richer mixture so by adding the extra fuel (ether) it starts, the poppets inside the injector is a high pressure poppet and doesnt give a good spray pattern to get the rich mixture for start up with low fuel pressure, but is enough to run the vehicle once it is going.