Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gunflint

Limits vs Needs

42 posts in this topic

It's just a cold hard fact that we are in for some very difficult times economically. Irregardless of who's in control. It will be interesting to see if there is a shift to keeping more fish as opposed to CPR. Freezer meat may become more of a necessity. I'm not saying that people will be starving. I'm just thinking that a greater return for diminishing funds expended might cause a tendency for people keeping more "eaters" in the future than in the past. I wouldn't be surprised to see poaching increasing in the larger game animals. When we first moved "Up-North" it wasn't uncommon for a family going through hard times to find a hind quarter on their porch every once in a while. I wonder if those day will be returning. Just a thought.

I was discussing this very subject with the wife about a week ago. She is worried we may get to a point where paying the mortgage and keeping the heat and electricity on may mean more than just cutting back on other things. It may mean we don't have enough left for groceries. What happens when you can't even afford to put gas in the car to go to work?

I have already decided to increase my returns within the limits of the law for my hunting and fishing trips.

I told her no matter how tough things get, we won't go hungry.

Very good point.I for one do not like to freeze fish .I usually keep a couple to eat and that is it.But being in the trades with building where it is at I believe that I will probably shift my harvesting practices(pretty sad).I would bet that some folks will be taking over there limits,and I will be forced to call TIP on someone that is over harvesting to feed his or her children.As far as hunting you know that there are people carving up game now to put meat on the table.What a choice?Is this guy I am watching just an @hole breaking the law or is he seeing that his kids get food?

But what do you do,laws are laws.

Maybe the dnr and the food shelf should get together and hand out bonus tags for hunters that would donate a deer.Or bonus tags for folks who need not want a couple extra fish?

I can't eat venison anymore but may get a license and put one in the freezer for back up and share with those in need.

I have thought about taking a extra deer this year(My zone we are allowed 5)just to put more meat in the freezer just because I like eating it and with the wife going back to school our budget is a little tight but I can see where some may have to poach or over harvest just to put food on the table. You would think with all the PROGRAMS out there it should not happen but there are some that are to proud to accept help and some are just game HOGS.

My habits for keeping game wont change much since my wife wont eat venison but she does like eating fish,,,with colder weather coming I will have to fry fish in the garage so it doesnt scent up the house too bad and I will probaly have to add more species to my freezer also

LAS

if things get that bad, you should be going to the grocery store instead of hunting or fishing. its much cheaper per lb. the pressure on our lakes have been much less this past year, i know i have cut back. i dont even want to think what it costs per lb to catch or harvest your own food

Maybe the dnr and the food shelf should get together and hand out bonus tags for hunters that would donate a deer.Or bonus tags for folks who need not want a couple extra fish?

I can't eat venison anymore but may get a license and put one in the freezer for back up and share with those in need.

HaHaHa no lead though! gotta tickle their bellies and catch em.

Meat email me we're 7 miles apart,I'm calling primetime today.

I am going to try for two deer this year. I will give some to my parents who no long get deer and love it. My wife and I eat a lot of deer when it's on hand. I was going to hunt in WI and was thinking of taking an extra one but it didn't pan out. I keep fish when I feel like it.

katcher, I think it's more a matter of keeping more fish than fishing more often. If you normally keep one fish but now start keeping four each time out, your cost per fish drops.

Same thing with deer, for example. Maybe instead of taking one you get bonus tag or two and take more if an easy opp presents itself.

I could see people taking/keeping more. I really couldn't blame them for it either. With home heating costs up, the economy not doing so hot and potentially more people being unemployed it may become more of a necessity for some folks.

My wife, who doestn't eat venison, has taken three deer in four years...

WITH HER IMPALA! crycrycry

The economy may mean less trips for me, especially the yearlies to Rainy and Mille Lacs for ice fishing. But it won't change my harvest either way. With five mouths to feed at home and a Mom and mother-in-law that love fish, there is never any waste. I keep what's within the law and always throw back the breeders.

I do admit to encouraging the kids to come with whenever possible for many reasons including more lines in the water.

I've aways wondered what the dnr could say if you bought your trout, do you have to keep the receipt?? Like 6 trout in the freezer can they (dnr) fine you ????? how can they prove that you caught them or bought them??????????????

Interesting topic. I guess if you already had sunk costs of gear, licenses, and the opportunity cost of time off you could make it work. Still, if you are talking about average joe, he's still better off going to the grocery store and getting ground beef at $3.50/# and a box of Vandecamp's fish sticks for $5. The time and gas money are the big deal breakers.

There are plenty of exceptions to the rule. Intensive tag deer areas and hunters that have the means to fill five tags are one exception. Or if you lived on a lake and could catch a mess of fish would be another.

The stuff was put out there to eat.

If it comes down to it, I would never get too hungry, and as long as someone is using the game, more power to them.

Not everyone lives closer to a grocery store than a lake. For me it takes just as much fuel to drive to Cub as it does to drive to the lake. So fuel is a wash. I rarely use over 3 gallons of gas when fishing thanks to trolling motors and anchoring. The only added expense is bait. That's never over $10. For less than $20 I can harvest 6 walleyes 6 bass 3 northerns a bunch of panfish and even a big musky. And if you budget for recreation and entertainment you're getting a double bang for your buck. This of course is assuming that you already own your equipment.

As far as deer are concerned, if legal, I and I'm sure a lot of Minnesotans could easily harvest 5 a year with out buying any gas. Other than ammo, that is a huge savings over the cost of grocery store meat. And more than off sets the cost of fishing.

I'm not promoting any of this I'm just bringing it up for conversation. I would like to add though that if people are going to harvest more walleyes for the table by all means harvest the smallies, northerns and legal muskies too or the implications to the walleye populations could be devastating. .

Although CPR and Selective Hrvest are certainly good programs, f times get too tough, I will certainly be keeping every fish I catch thats within the legal limits, 'Eyes, Pannies, Perch, Norderns and Ski's to offset my boat/truck gas costs. As far as Deer are concerned; The DNR in Wi wants us to believe there is a deer behind every tree and we should shoot and shoot often. Well, I would rather eat deer than beef, so I am gonna oblidge. I can hunt in my backyard, have plenty of ammo already, so cost offset is not an issue. Not even gettinginto small game and ducks but they too will be joining the other game in my freezer.

If the times were to get that tough and a family needed the food, the county will address that issue. I realize they may be too proud but that does not allow them to break the game laws. heck, they could call me an I would donate a deer to them.

I don't believe that any is advocating poaching. I know that I'm certainly not. My point is that with things getting tight next year, instead of me keeping 15 or 20 fish over the season I might keep more like 50 or 60.

As for me, guess I wouldn't consider it poaching if someone truly needed it and was going to put it to use.

More deer are killed by cars everyday, and deep hooked fish released to die, than someone that needs, and will use an extra fish, or pick off a deer for food.

I keep my share of fish. I gift some to my parents, a brother in law who is dieing of cancer and can't get out anymore and a couple of folks that don't get out but love fish. I see nothing wrong with it and never keep over my limit.

Poaching is poaching. For the guys who are saying it's ok if a family is in need, there will always be families in need, so you have no problem with people stealing or commiting other crimes because their family is in need??? Because in a nutshell that's what poaching is, stealing from you and I.