Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sandmannd

Heat in a deer stand

8 posts in this topic

This is my first year sitting in a stand. I was curious if any of you use heaters if it's cold out. I have a perm stand that is up and has some room. Will the smell run the deer off? I have a heater/cooker I could use. I was also thinking of just some charcoal in a coffee can. Not sure, I can sit in the cold with arctic armor on if that is a better benefit but warm is always good.

I have used LP heat for 6 year's in my Blind...not once has it ever stopped a deer from coming in,stay warm and enjoy.

I once came across on old-timer while hunting. He was standing on the ground but also had a small fire going for warmth.

I asked him if he thought it would diminish his chances. He informed me that he has taken deer quite often and now uses the fire as an attractant. His theory was that deer are inquisitive and a small fire actually piques their curiousity.

Of course, a raging infernal will probably do the reverse.

Bob

Been using the heater cooker for heat as long as I can remember and have yet to get skunked deer hunting. The past 2 years I've used it in my ground blind with no ill effects.

I once came across on old-timer while hunting. He was standing on the ground but also had a small fire going for warmth.

I asked him if he thought it would diminish his chances. He informed me that he has taken deer quite often and now uses the fire as an attractant. His theory was that deer are inquisitive and a small fire actually piques their curiousity.

Of course, a raging infernal will probably do the reverse.

Bob

My dad has told me the exact same thing, that he knew a old-timer that did that. Maybe it was the same guy?

My grandfather used to do the same when he hunted. He had a two sided shack and built a fire near it. Sat there and shot deer every day. This was in Wisconsin though.

Wood smoke is a great cover scent. My wife's "blind" has a wood stove. I have used wood smoke on my hunting clothes too.

only issue I would see is just more stuff to have to lug out in the field with you, I never use heaters but layer to the point where I will shed layers but can always put them back on

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Next time just call it a great Pike video, with some bonus Bass thrown in! Who's to know?
    • Good luck and shoot straight 
    • He said "getting wood" uh uhha 
    • Or I flat out suck, can't figure it out, on the bright side the snot rockets kept me entertained!    
    • The green up is still in full swing this week, with the help of consistent rain events and temperatures between the 50s and 70s. This, combined with recent snow in the northern portions of the state continues to put a damper on recently high fire danger across and has brought us to "Low" fire danger throughout the counties. Water levels are still running above normal, and the Wisconsin River is above flood stage. Trails across the state are likely to feature more than a few hints of mud. Bring your rubber boots or waterproof hikers and enjoy the scenery as the banks, forests, marshes and prairies respond to the influx of moisture. Challenging weather made for tough angling across the board this past week. Anglers from Marinette County to Brown County reported numerous attempts at walleye and brown trout. Murkier water didn't help, but reports came in from anglers that they were seeing success for non-target species, particularly northern pike. In Oconto County, the sucker run is rolling along and disturbing the bite. In Brown County, those that did see success for walleye noted that the fish were fully spawned and on their way back to the bay. Stream anglers are reporting a difficult steelhead bite in eastern Door County, while suckers have dispersed in Kewaunee County, leaving the steelhead there more visible as temperatures climb upwards. Water temperatures range from the upper 40s to the low 50s. There were two to four foot waves and small craft advisories in effect last Thursday and Friday in Milwaukee. Anglers at the McKinley Pier are looking for coho and chinook salmon, while brown trout were being landed behind Summerfest. Anglers in Racine County reported boaters and pier anglers landing brown trout as well as a few coho. At the Root River, water visibility was around 12 inches, with an improving steelhead bite and a few remaining suckers caught. Anglers in Kenosha saw more success for browns from the harbor than the south pier. Though no catches were reported from the Pike, the mouth of the river is open and visibility is good. Temperatures for these waters ranged from 47 to 54 degrees Fahrenheit. .
    • Spotted it on the way back from getting wood and tried to sneak up on it. 
    • Hawg - please take down my post - didn't mean to offend or break any rules     
    • I looked it up on google and found it but not the sprinkler it was $12.99. I don't remember what it was.
    • Just went home for lunch and....he's back.
    • Within the last few days the bluejays have discovered my suet cakes.   Also have a hairy woodpecker that has appeared recently. 
  • Our Sponsors